Curbside Recycling and Trash
In Fort Collins, trash and recycling are collected by private trash haulers. The following haulers provide residential curbside trash and recycling service in Fort Collins. Prices and types of recycling containers vary. Call for more information or to begin service:
Fort Collins has a volume-based trash rates system called Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) that provides economic incentives for reducing waste. Residents are charged for the amount of trash they generate in the same way we are billed for the amount of electricity, gas and other utilities that we use. That means the less you throw away, the less you pay. Simply sort your recyclable materials based on our Recycling Guidelines (PDF 224KB) poster.
Think about right-sizing your trash can. Save money by reducing, reusing, recycling, and composting. The following is included in PAYT:
- A trash bill based on the size of your trash receptacle
- Unlimited recycling included at no additional charge
- Recycling offered in a wheeled 64 or 96-gallon recycling cart. Some haulers also offer an 18-gallon recycling tub
- Additional service fees such as an environmental fee or fuel fee cannot be charged on residential billing
- All aspects of the PAYT ordinance apply to residents of single-family homes who live in Home Owners Associations as well as those who subscribe directly with the hauler.
For more information, visit:
Haulers & Recyclers that Service Businesses
Frequently Asked Questions
Curbside Recycling – Simple Tips for Reducing Waste
Tips for curbside recycling:
- Be sure to put your materials out by 7 a.m. on your regular trash day.
- Missed your pick-up? Call your hauler.
- Only include items accepted (PDF 224KB) through our program in your recycling bin. Including additional materials jeopardizes recycling markets and makes processing more costly.
- Many items not collected at the curb can be recycled elsewhere.