Website home about our city


Welcome to Fort Collins, Colorado, an annual Tree City, USA award recipient for the last 33 years. Our staff prides itself in its commitment to maintaining our urban forest. The Forestry staff, within the Forestry Division, maintains more than 40,000 city property trees.

Wood Mulch Day - Satuday, April 26
Wood mulch will be made available to the public on Saturday, April 26 from 8:00am-3:00pm for $5.00 per load at 1809 S. Timberline Rd. Please enter and exit driving south bound on Timberline Rd.

The Forestry Department requests that residents provide exact funds and a tarp or cover to secure the mulch to prevent scattering.

The mulch will be loaded into open-top vehicles or trailers using a front-end loader. Hand shoveling into vehicles or containers will be prohibited.

Self-loading mulch sites are available to residents throughout the year at the Gardens On Spring Creek and the Rivendell Recycle Center.

This program is not available to commercial businesses.

For additional information contact Del Bernhardt at or 970-221-6306

Insect Alert: Emerald Ash Borer
Emerald Ash Borer has been detected in Colorado. On Septemeber 23, 2013 Emerald ash borer was found in Boulder, Colorado. Emerald Ash Borer is a very aggressive insect that is responsible for killing an estimated 50 million ash trees in 21 different states. It is important to understand that the movement of this insects to primarily caused by the movement of ash wood. For more information about detection, prevention, and treatment please visit the Colorado department of Agriculture website.

SCR! (47K)Tree Planting at Spring Canyon Park

Feel free to contact Forestry (970)221.6660 regarding the following:

Services on City Trees and Property
  • Tree pruning, removal and requests
  • Tree planting, questions and requests
  • Hazard tree identification and inspection
  • Insect and disease identification and control
  • Tree work permits on City property (pruning, removal and planting)
  • Trees blocking traffic signs and signals
General Services
  • Arborist licensing
  • General information, literature and presentations on trees (City Park Tree Tour, Notable Tree Tour, Champion Trees etc)
  • Tree mulch program
  • Tree insect and disease notification (Dutch Elm Disease, Mountain Pine Beetle and Ips Beetle)
  • Private hazard trees threatening public property
  • Development review
  • Arbor Day program
  • Memorial tree program

Some Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a place to drop off tree limbs I've pruned from my tree? The City does not accept tree limbs or any yard waste. However, there are some local business that do accept yard waste and tree limbs for recycling.

I cut down my pine tree that had Mountain Pine Beetle, what do I do with the wood? There are three options: 1) You can have a company come to your house and chip all the wood and then use the mulch yourself, or have that company haul it away. 2) You can take all the wood to the Larimer County Landfill to have it buried. You need to let them know it's infested wood, so please contact them at 970-498-5760 to find out what to do when you get to the landfill. 3) You can strip the bark from the wood, and then use the wood as you wish; but this is a tedious process and may not be worth the work. In addition, the bark would still have to be taken to the landfill.


Physical Address: 413 South Bryan Avenue, Fort Collins, CO 80521
Phone: (970) 221.6660
Fax: (970) 221-6849