Coming Soon: Make it Happen Implementation Grants!#
Nature in the City helps to fund projects that bring natural spaces into your neighborhood and community! Applications for 2022 funds will be available Sept 1, 2021 and will be due Oct 20, 2021. More information coming soon, in the meantime, visit the apply page for general information about applying for Nature in the City grants, check out past projects here, and learn more about our goals in the Nature in the City Strategic plan.
What to Plant?#
Looking for plants that support local wildlife and pollinators, are waterwise, and regionally appropriate? City of Fort Collins Recommended Plant List is here! This list is unique to Fort Collins and includes hundreds of plants native to Fort Collins and Colorado. This new resource can serve as a guide in the creation of sustainable and ecologically diverse landscapes and may just help you decide what else to plant in your garden.
2020 Annual Report#
The Fort Collins community stepped up for nature in 2020 despite the challenges and uncertainty that the year brought. The Nature in the City 2020 Annual Report highlights key accomplishments from the year. Explore the report to find out how the community and volunteers helped make 2020 one of the programs biggest years yet!
Vision, Goals and Strategic Plan#
A connected open space network accessible to the entire community that provides a variety of experiences and functional habitat for people, plants, and wildlife.
- CONNECTIVITY across high quality natural spaces through enhancement of urban lands that provide diverse social and ecological opportunities.
- ACCESS to nature by ensuring every resident can easily experience nature where they live, work, and play.
- STEWARDSHIP of the naturalized landscape by demonstrating that a shift in our community landscape can support healthy environments for people and wildlife.
Some current partnerships and projects are:
- Participating in the City's Night Sky team.
- Integrating Nature in the City principles into efforts such as the Water Efficiency Plan, Climate Action Plan, and City Plan.
- Community Science Biodiversity monitoring volunteers are learning about urban wildlife and exploring Fort Collins' natural spaces as they conduct scientific surveys for birds and butterflies. Learn more.