Skip to main content


Business Resources#

Employee handing food over a counter

Wondering what licenses and permits your business needs?

Looking for commercial energy rebates or training opportunities?

We can connect you to the information you need! The Fort Collins Economic Health Office is here to help you navigate all local resources that are available to your business.

For Fort Collins#

For Fort Collins Logo

For Fort Collins houses tools and resources aimed at supporting businesses, including free marketing and business tools. It also encourages the community to support our local business community by shopping local and shopping safely.

Explore For Fort Collins

Multicultural Business & Entrepreneur Center (MBEC)#

Multicultural business & entrepreneur center text on orange background

The Multicultural Business & Entrepreneur Center (MBEC) is a free bilingual (English & Spanish) center that provides business owners and entrepreneurs easy access to business service providers, resources, mentorship and specialty training.

Learn More

New Business Roadmap#

The New Business Roadmap walks you through everything you need to know about starting a business in Fort Collins, from selecting a location to sales tax regulations, utilities and more.

View Roadmap

Licenses & Permits#

Questions about which licenses/permits you need to operate?

All Brick and Mortar, Home-Based Businesses, and Service-Based Businesses (i.e. a contractor that works/performs services in Fort Collins regardless if they live or have a business located in Fort Collins) are required to have a Sales & Use Tax License with the City. Additional licenses and permits may be required depending on your type of business. 

Learn More

Capital Project Assistance Funding#

Economic Health is providing financial assistance totally $2,000 to businesses impacted by the 2022 Linden Street construction area.

Applications for this one-time grant close Friday, January 27, 2023.

Apply Now

Construction Toolkit#

Construction that impacts your business can be stressful. The Construction Toolkit has been created as a helpful resource for our community based business owners during public or private construction projects.

Download Construction Toolkit

Home-based Business Forms#

The City of Fort Collins encourages home-based businesses through a straightforward and easy-to-use permitting process.

Any portion of a residential property, including a home phone, computer, mailing address, etc., used in deriving income or sales, will require the resident to obtain a Home Occupation license. Visit the Building department for more information.

Child care and other day care providers are exempt from home occupation licensing and requirements except for signage restrictions.

Home occupations include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Art/craft making
  • Seamstress services
  • Professional offices (real estate/insurance/medical)
  • Multi-level marketing
  • Vending services
  • Service businesses (contracting/janitorial)
  • Instruction (music)
  • Consulting
  • Wholesale/catalogue sales
  • Personal service (beauty/barber) shops
  • The renting of rooms for residential purposes

Not included under Home Occupation License#

The following cannot be considered home occupation businesses:

  • Group homes
  • Health care facilities (Nursing homes)
  • Restaurants
  • Tourist homes (Bed and Breakfast facilities)
  • Animal hospitals

These uses are restricted to particular zoning districts.

Application Forms#

Home Occupation License Applications can be downloaded or obtained at the Building Inspections/Zoning office at 281 North College Avenue or the Sales Tax office at 215 North Mason. 

Home-based businesses also require a Sales & Use Tax License, which the City of Fort Collins uses as a business license. You can apply for this license online, and get assistance from the Sales Tax Department by contacting 970-221-6780 or emailing

More Information