Wondering what licenses and permits your business needs?
Looking for commercial energy rebates or training opportunities?
We can connect you to the information you need! The Fort Collins Economic Health Office is here to help you navigate all local resources that are available to your business.
For Fort Collins#
For Fort Collins houses tools and resources aimed at supporting businesses, including free marketing and business tools. It also encourages the community to support our local business community by shopping local and shopping safely.
Multicultural Business & Entrepreneur Center (MBEC)#
The Multicultural Business & Entrepreneur Center (MBEC) is a free bilingual (English & Spanish) center that provides business owners and entrepreneurs easy access to business service providers, resources, mentorship and specialty training.
Licenses & Permits#
Questions about which licenses/permits you need to operate?
All Brick and Mortar, Home-Based Businesses, and Service-Based Businesses (i.e. a contractor that works/performs services in Fort Collins regardless if they live or have a business located in Fort Collins) are required to have a Sales & Use Tax License with the City. Additional licenses and permits may be required depending on your type of business.
Any portion of a residential property, including a home phone, computer, mailing address, etc., used in deriving income or sales, will require the resident to obtain a Home Occupation license. Visit the Building department for more information.
Child care and other day care providers are exempt from home occupation licensing and requirements except for signage restrictions.
Home occupations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Art/craft making
- Seamstress services
- Professional offices (real estate/insurance/medical)
- Multi-level marketing
- Vending services
- Service businesses (contracting/janitorial)
- Instruction (music)
- Wholesale/catalogue sales
- Personal service (beauty/barber) shops
- The renting of rooms for residential purposes
Not included under Home Occupation License#
The following cannot be considered home occupation businesses:
- Group homes
- Health care facilities (Nursing homes)
- Tourist homes (Bed and Breakfast facilities)
- Animal hospitals
These uses are restricted to particular zoning districts.
In addition to Zoning requirements, prohibition of or limitations to home occupation businesses may be regulated by subdivision, condominium, or similar covenants. Please check what COVENANTS might exist in your neighborhood by contacting your homeowner's association or the Larimer County Clerk and Recording office at (970) 498-7860.
Home Occupation License Applications can be downloaded or obtained at the Building Inspections/Zoning office at 281 North College Avenue or the Sales Tax office at 215 North Mason.
Home-based businesses also require a Sales & Use Tax License, which the City of Fort Collins uses as a business license. You can apply for this license online, and get assistance from the Sales Tax Department by contacting 970-221-6780 or emailing email@example.com.
- Downtown Development Authority
- Downtown Fort Collins Creative District
- Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce
- Larimer County Economic Development & Workforce Center
- Larimer Small Business Development Center
- NoCo REDI (Regional Economic Development Initiative)
- Poudre River Public Library Business Center
- Innosphere Ventures - incubator program for high-tech entrepreneurs & startups
- Social & Advisory Group for Entrepreneurs (SAGE)
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)
- Visit Fort Collins
- Work in Northern Colorado
- Colorado Department of Revenue
- Colorado Minority Business Office
- Colorado Office of Economic Development & International Trade
- Colorado PTAC (Procurement Technical Assistance Center)
- E-Learning Free Videos to Start & Grow - also translated in Español
- Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation
- Small Business Administration: Colorado Office
Programs & Incentives through the City#
- Business License and Sales Tax License
- Data & Information Requests
- Development Review Guide
- Home Occupation License
- New Business Roadmap
- Commercial Utilities
City Programs & Incentives