The City of Fort Collins requires a temporary sales tax license for participants in special events (i.e. NewWestFest, etc). A separate temporary sales tax license is needed for each event. However, if you have a permanent City of Fort Collins sales tax license you can report your sales from the special event(s) on your regular sales tax return.
Information for Vendors
If you are participating in a special event in Fort Collins, please follow these steps:
- Download a blank temporary sales tax license form
- Fill out completely the top portion of the form.
- Display the form in your booth at the event.
- Complete the bottom portion of the form with the taxable sales and the 3.85% city sales tax collected. If no tax is due, submit a zero return.
- Submit the full page return form with your payment to the address indicated. Keep a copy for your records.
- Payment is due by the 20th of the month following the period of the event.
Information for Event Organizers
- Notify the Sales Tax Department of the date, location and time of the event, at least ten (10) days prior to the event.
- Prepare a list of vendors that includes name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number for the Sales Tax Department. Deliver the list to the Sales Tax Department at least seven (7) days prior to the event via mail, fax or e-mail.
Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
- The City of Fort Collins is a home rule city, therefore, only the city sales tax (3.85%) should be remitted directly to the City of Fort Collins. The Department of Revenue collects the State and Larimer County tax.
- Participants should contact the Department of Revenue to inquire about the State’s requirements for single and multiple event licenses.
- State Phone Number: (970) 494-9805
- State Application: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR0589.pdf
- State Return: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR0098.pdf
- Participants should contact Larimer County to inquire about the county requirements for special events. (970) 498-5930 or larimer.org/finance