Applicable Laws Regarding Retail/Recreational Marijuana#
In November 2012, Colorado voters approved an amendment (Amendment 64) to the state constitution that makes the personal use, possession, and limited home-growing of marijuana legal under Colorado law for adults 21 years of age and older. Amendment 64 also required the State to establish a system in which marijuana is regulated and taxed similarly to alcohol.
The possession and use of marijuana remain a crime under federal law. Persons who use marijuana for recreational purposes are subject to criminal prosecution under federal law.
Effective January 1, 2020, The Colorado Marijuana code was consolidated from Articles 11 (Medical) and 12 (Retail) into a single Article 10 (Regulated Marijuana)
State Laws And Regulations#
- Effective January 1, 2020: Colorado Revised Status (Article 10: Regulated Marijuana)
- Article XVIII, Section 16 of the Colorado Constitution (Amendment 64)
- Title 44, Article 10, Colorado Revised Statutes (Colorado Marijuana Code)
- Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division - Marijuana Regulations
- Title 39, Article 28.8, Colorado Revised Statutes (taxes on marijuana)
Local Laws And Rules/Regulations#
- Chapter 15, Article XVII of the City Code (regulation of retail marijuana businesses)
- Chapter 12, Article IX of the City Code (cultivation of marijuana for personal use)
- Chapter 17, Article XI of the City Code (marijuana offenses)
- Please review the Zoning Website first about your proposed marijuana property before submitting an application. Note: if Planning/Zoning/Building indicates applications and approvals are needed, those MUST be completed prior to application submission. Please refer to the City of Fort Collins Building Services page found here.
- For more detailed information about zoning restrictions, visit our interactive zoning map.
- Provide any legal advice, including whether or not a business model may or may not work in Fort Collins. Please read the state and local laws and consult your own attorney.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of marijuana from particular businesses.
- Direct you to owners that may be interested in selling their business(es).