Applicable Laws Regarding Medical Marijuana#
Effective January 1, 2020, The Colorado Marijuana code was consolidated from Articles 11 (Medical) and 12 (Retail) into a single Article 10 (Regulated Marijuana). Refer to the Colorado Revised Statutes
The Colorado Medical Use of Marijuana Initiative, also known as Amendment 20, was approved by the voters in November 2000. The measure legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes and created an identification card system for patients and caregivers whose marijuana possession was covered by the measure.
In March 2010, the City of Fort Collins enacted a licensing provision for medical marijuana businesses. Applications were accepted from those who held a sales tax license for such purpose prior to the enactment of licensing provisions.
In November 2011, voters approved a citizen-initiated ordinance prohibiting the operation of medical marijuana businesses in Fort Collins. By February 14, 2012, all businesses were closed.
The marijuana business industry drafted its own initiative for the November 2012 ballot that reinstated the licensing of marijuana businesses in Fort Collins. This initiative imposed a limit cap on the number of medical marijuana stores in Fort Collins and gave preferential treatment to those businesses that were forced to close as a result of the 2011 initiative. Fort Collins began accepting applications from previous businesses in January 2013.
The possession and use of marijuana remain a crime under federal law. Persons who use marijuana for medical purposes are subject to criminal prosecution under federal law.
Local Laws And Rules/Regulations#
- Chapter 15, Article XVI of the City Code (regulation of medical marijuana businesses)
- Chapter 15, Article XVII of the City Code (regulation of retail marijuana businesses)
- Chapter 12, Article IX of the City Code (cultivation of marijuana for personal use)
- Chapter 17, Article XI of the City Code (marijuana offenses)
- Provide any legal advice, including whether or not a business model may or may not work in Fort Collins. Please read the state and local laws and consult your own attorney.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of marijuana from particular businesses.
- Direct you to owners that may be interested in selling their business(es).