Social Responsibility Badge
Elements and Aspects
The Elements of Social Impact are streamlined categories that your organization's social responsibility initiatives can fit into. To further classify an initiative, identify which Aspects of Social Impact exist using the Aspects and Elements of Social Impact Worksheet. This worksheet is designed to encourage a comprehensive social responsibility program vision.
1. Community - An initiative focused on benefiting the community at large. While your customers, coworkers and suppliers are likely part of this group, the community initiative doesn’t focus on these specific groups. It exists to benefit either the general population or specific groups within that population that your organization believes need support.
- Incentivize volunteering
- Participate in local business leadership
- Partner with a non-profit
- Philanthropy efforts
- Support or organize a fundraiser
2. Coworkers - An initiative focused on the people employed by your organization to help deliver your product or service. Your organization may consider some volunteers as part of this group for the purposes of certain appreciation benefits.
- Employee recognition program
- Flex scheduling
- Team building and retreats
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program
3. Customers - An initiative focused on the people or organizations you serve. This includes the consumers (pay for personal use), benefactors (donate to help another person or cause) and beneficiaries (non-paying customers) of your product or service.
- appreciation event
- appreciation gift
- Referral discount
- Reward sustainably efforts (e.g. bring reusable bag, use alternative transportation)
- Support a cause chosen by customers
4. Public Awareness - An initiative with the primary focus of educating and raising awareness around an issue.
- Join sustainability initiative (e.g.1% for the planet)
- Provide meeting space for another organization
- Sponsor an educational event
- Support a community program (e.g. City efficiency incentives)
- Transparent business practices and goals (e.g. place on website)
5. Suppliers - An initiative focused on your upstream partners; People you make purchases or receive supplies from in order to develop and deliver your product or service.
- Implement sustainable purchasing guidelines
- Make group purchases
- Purchase sustainable certified products
- Require environmental protection reports
- Support supplier diversity
1. Social Equity - Actively attempt to reduce risk and resource-based inequalities.
- Employee ownership
- Offering competitive wages (i.e. encourage housing and food affordability and security)
- Philanthropy programs
2. Social Capital - Development of social ties that provide support networks within and across government, business, NGO, and informal community organizations; Recognize and grow the value of social contacts; Encourage collaboration that positively affect the productivity of groups and individuals.
- Allow access to information and transfer know-how (e.g. encourage collaboration)
- Inter-agency social networking (formal and informal)
- Providing third spaces
- Transparency mechanisms (e.g. encourage knowledge transfer)
3. Inclusion & Interaction - Encourage cross-cultural social engagement or engagement across social groups; actively involve and link community members in the mitigation of local problems.
- Diverse social networks
- Promote civic engagement
- Third spaces
4. Leadership & Adaptability - Possess flexibility and strong decision-making skills; Collaborative approach; Display a willingness to learn; A trusted source of credible information which function in the face of unknowns.
- Active involvement with cause-based affiliations
- Business leadership participation (i.e. board or committee participation)
- Develop industry leading sustainability initiatives
- Formally or informally sharing out expert advice or other information
- Leadership training
5. Social Growth - Promotion of personal growth and development across all age groups through sponsored enrichment programs.
- Encourage strong work-life balance
- Incentive volunteering
- Offer flex-time
- Offer tuition reimbursement for education
- Provide personal or professional development opportunities
6. Social Expression - A concerted effort to enhance arts, culture and cultural diversity.
- Provide a space for social expression
- Support development of individual creativity goals
- Support of arts and cultural events
7. Health & Well-being - Promoting and creating safe and healthy environments (work, home and personal).
- Create a safe environment (both physically and emotionally)
- Encourage or provide recreational and active living opportunities
- Provide equal access to health care and mental health services