Electric Lawn and Garden Equipment Replacement Incentives#
City's Electric Lawn and Garden Equipment Rebate Program Discontinued
The City-administered residential lawn and garden equipment rebate program has been discontinued, effective February 2021.
However, the Regional Air Quality Council's Mow Down Pollution lawnmower exchange program is available for Fort Collins residents and generally accepts applications beginning in April and through September or until funding has been expended. Please read below for more information.
**2022 Mow Down Pollution Lawnmower Exchange Program Is Currently Closed**#
**The 2022 Mow Down Pollution lawnmower exchange program is currently closed. However, Larimer County has initiated a program with the RAQC for incentives on other electric landscaping equipment, for example weed whips and leaf blowers. The most up to date information about funding availability and the Mow Down Pollution Program is available at www.mowdownpollution.org. Any questions related to the program should be directed to MowDownPollution@racq.org. Please read below and/or visit www.mowdownpollution.org/residential for more information.**
YOU have the power to help clean up the air! Gas-powered lawn mowers emit greenhouse gases and contribute to ground-level ozone pollution. Electric mowers are quiet, start instantly, and don’t require gas, engine oil, fuel filters and other related maintenance. And, there are no fumes to breathe as you are mowing your lawn!
The Regional Air Quality Council's (RAQC) Mow Down Pollution (MDP) program generally accepts applications beginning in late April or May for $150 vouchers toward the purchase of a new electric lawnmower in partnership with local retailers. For 2022, the retail partner was Ace Hardware.
How Does It Work?
- Apply for a voucher at www.mowdownpollution.org/residential.
- Within 21 days of receiving your Drop-Off Verification form, recycle your gas mower at an approved metal recycler.
- RMB Recycling at 1475 N. College Avenue is listed as the only approved recycler, however, you may utilize other locations in Fort Collins such as the Timberline Recycling Center or Colorado Iron and Metal.
- All fluids must be drained and properly disposed prior to recycling. Fluids, e.g., gasoline and oil, are accepted for free at the Larimer County Landfill's Household Hazardous Waste facility.
- You must obtain a receipt from the metal recycler that states "lawnmower" or have the recycler sign the Drop-Off Verification form.
- Submit your recycling receipt or Drop-Off Verification form to the Mow Down Pollution program, following directions provided in your Approved Applicant email.
- Within 3-5 days, you will receive your $150 voucher to use in-person at the Service Desk at The Home Depot on JFK Parkway.
While this program is not managed by the City of Fort Collins, we are happy to help if you have questions. You may also visit the RAQC's Mow Down Pollution website for more information and contact them directly.