Skip to main content

Regulations Regarding Radar/Red Light Tickets

To review regulations regarding the use of cameras for traffic enforcement, refer to:

General Radar/Red Light Tickets

Camera Radar/Red Light tickets are issued by Fort Collins Police Services. The Municipal Court processes any cases filed by local enforcement agencies which include Camera Radar/Red Light violations.

Based on the current state law, there are no points assessed on your drivers license for Camera Radar/Red Light tickets unless your alleged speed is 25 miles or more over the speed limit. If your speed was in excess of 25 miles over the speed limit, you will be cited with a 6 point speeding ticket and given an arraignment date to appear in court. A court appearance is mandatory for six-point speeding tickets.

The current process is as follows:

  • Photos and video links are sent with the first notice of your summons and complaint via regular mail.
  • If you fail to pay or appear by the "respond by" date listed in that notice, a second notice may be sent via regular mail.
  • If you fail to respond, you may be personally served by a Certified Peace Officer with a summons and complaint which will include an arraignment date.
  • If you plead guilty or are found guilty after such service, a minimum $40 service cost will be assessed, in addition to any fines or other costs.
  • If you wish to contest the service charge, you must come to the Municipal Court to file a Motion to Waive the Service Cost. If your motion is denied, a Service Cost Hearing Date will be scheduled.

If you wish to plead guilty and pay your ticket, you may bring payment in person to the Fort Collins Municipal Court Clerks' Office. You may also pay by phone with MasterCard or Visa by calling (970) 221-6867. You may also pay online at

If you are the registered owner of the vehicle but were not driving the vehicle when the photo was taken, you have three options to address this citation:

  1. If you just want to pay the ticket for the driver, you may send in the Option #1 slip, the ticket will remain in the original persons name, no correction will be made. 0 point tickets are not reported to the State of Colorado and will not show on your Driver License History.
  2. If you know who the driver is and want them to take responsibility for the ticket but don't want to pay it for that person, return the correct portion of the ticket with the driver's name and address filled in. We will dismiss the case in your name, and it may be reissued to the identified driver.
  3. If you don't know who the driver is or don't want to identify the driver,you can request a dismissal by filing a Motion to Dismiss, explaining why you feel the ticket should be dismissed. *Include with the Motion to Dismiss a clear copy of your driver's license, the photo, and the summons. The Prosecutor will review the case. If the prosecutor agrees with your motion, the case will be forwarded to the Municipal Court Judge for a decision on the dismissal. If the prosecutor objects to your motion, your case may be scheduled for trial.

    *Forms are available at the Camera Radar/Red Light Clerk's office.

If you wish to contest your ticket, you may request that it be set for trial at the Clerk's Office. The trial date will be scheduled within 90 days of the date you plead "not guilty." The officer whose name appears on your summons is usually the Prosecution's witness at the trial.

With the exception of 25+ MPH over the speed limit violations, if you do not appear for arraignment or trial, you will be found guilty by default. A default judgment will be entered against you and a letter will then be mailed to you explaining the amount due and your options. If you still do not address the summons, your case will be turned over for collection and may appear on your credit report.

25+ MPH over the speed limit violations are misdemeanors. Misdemeanors are criminal in nature, not civil as are traffic infractions. Therefore, the end result for non-appearance for arraignments or trials is a bench warrant is issued for your arrest.

For more information regarding Clerk's office at (970) 221-6867.