Year Opened: 2019
Garden Designer: Lauren Springer
This garden is designed and managed by nationally-renowned garden designer and Fort Collins resident Lauren Springer and is named after her bestselling gardening book The Undaunted Garden: Planting for Weather-Resilient Beauty.
The purpose of the garden is to trial and increase the diversity of ornamental plants that offer wildlife and pollinator benefits and that thrive with low water input and in our challenging Northern Colorado climate and soils. The unique design focuses on inspiring and educating visitors with artistic combinations and distinctive styles demonstrated in four distinct garden areas.
- Three-quarters of an acre, sloped, egg-shaped space almost entirely in full sun
- South-facing slope features the Cactus Garden, the largest outdoor collection of cold-hardy cacti in the country
- West side features a Western Cottage Garden where shrubs and larger perennials mingle in a flowery, feminine English-garden-style exuberance
- Along the northern end of the garden is the Chaparral Garden, which features a blend of shrubby plants with large clumping grasses, yuccas, and textural perennials, self-sowing annuals and biennials and bulbs
- Demonstrates xeriscape principles in a dramatic, drought-tolerant, naturalistic composition with strong year-round interest
- Showcases western native plants and well-adapted non-natives