Court Security and Decorum
In order to provide a secure and safe environment for all persons entering the court, the following shall be adhered to:
- All backpacks, purses, briefcases, packages and other containers that are carried into the courtroom are subject to search. Furthermore, persons entering the court carrying such items are asked to refrain from reaching into the containers while in the courtroom.
- The following items are prohibited inside the courtroom and are subject to seizure. Fort Collins Police response shall be requested in the event that an illegal item is seized.*
- Firearms (this shall include toy firearms) and ammunition. Persons legally permitted to carry firearms shall be asked to secure such firearm in one of the court-provided lock boxes.
- Combustible and or explosive material/liquid.
- Knives of any length. This shall include box cutters and or any device used for cutting material.
- Tools. This shall include hammers, screwdrivers, ice picks, drills, etc.…
- Mace, pepper spray, or any liquid that has the potential to incapacitate.
- Handcuffs and handcuffs keys.
- Clubs, batons, blackjacks, or any object/instrument that can be used as a bludgeon.
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana, illegal drugs, and drug paraphernalia.
- Food and drink (other than water provided at the tables during hearings and trials).
- Animals (except service animals).
Although the court does provide a limited number of secure lock boxes, persons are asked to safely secure any listed legal item prior to entering the court.
* Law enforcement officers are exempt when carrying or using any of the above items in the performance of their duties.
Persons entering areas of the building used by the court shall refrain from using abusive or threatening language that is directed towards other customers, building visitors, or Court employees. Furthermore, conversation shall be at a decibel so as not to interfere with the operations of the Municipal Court staff.
Areas of the Court shall include, but are not limited to, the lobby of 215 N. Mason St., the Court Clerk’s lobby, defendant waiting room, hallway, and courtroom.
When in the courtroom please remain quiet and seated until your case is called.
You will be asked to turn off your cell phone and/or any device that can be used to record audio and/or video while in the courtroom.
Please follow directions and instructions from the Judge, Court Clerk, Bailiff, Court Security Officer, Municipal Court Employees, and/or their designee.