Issue Committee Guidelines#
What is an Issue Committee?#
In the context of Fort Collins municipal elections, an "issue committee" is defined as:
(1) Two or more persons who are elected, appointed or chosen, or have associated themselves, and that take steps in furtherance of an intent to accept contributions or contributions in kind, or make expenditures, to support or oppose any ballot issue or ballot question; or
(2) Any person that takes steps in furtherance of an intent to accept contributions or contributions in kind for the purpose of supporting or opposing any ballot issue or ballot question; or
(3) Any persons or associated persons upon making independent expenditures of $2,500 or more for the purpose of supporting or opposing any ballot issue or ballot question.
"Person" is defined as any individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation, labor organization or other organization or groups of persons.
It is important to note that the definition of "issue committee" for Fort Collins municipal elections is different than the definition contained in the Fair Campaign Practices Act and that may be used by other municipalities.
Restrictions on Issue Committee Activities#
Issue committees are prohibited from making contributions to candidate committees.
Issue committees are prohibited from coordinating its expenditures with any other committee.
Issue Committee Requirements#
All issue committees are required to register with the City Clerk before accepting contributions or making expenditures.
- Issue Committee Guidelines - Coming Soon
- Committee Registration Form
- Campaign Reporting Forms (MUST be maintained in Excel format and submitted electronically as Excel files)
- Important Dates (November 8, 2022 Special Election)
Campaign Reporting forms now include methods for tracking contributions from Limited Liability Companies (LLCs). Those requirements do not apply to Issue Committees. Therefore, there is no need to mark contributions from an LLC with an X, and no need to complete the last page of the form.
Campaign Reporting forms should be emailed to Rita Knoll, Chief Deputy City Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and are considered timely if filed no later than midnight Mountain Standard Time on the date due. The report due the Friday before the election is due at noon Mountain Standard Time.