Annual- living for one year or less.
Biennial- living for two years, typically a rosette in year one and then flowering, fruiting, and dying in year two.
Colorado Native Plant (for City of Fort Collins purposes only)- a plant species that meets the definition of a native plant or native selection and that either occurs or could naturally occur in Colorado .
Cultivar- an organism and especially one of an agricultural or horticultural variety or strain originating and persistent under cultivation.
Deciduous- plants that shed their leaves at the end of each growing season.
Dioecious- having staminate and pistillate flowers borne on different individuals.
Endemic- a plant confined to a given region.
Evergreen- remaining green during the dormant season, the plant never without some leaves.
Fort Collins Native Plant (for City of Fort Collins purposes only)- a plant that meets the definition of a native plant or native selection and that either occurs or could naturally occur in the City of Fort Collins Growth Management Area (GMA) and/or the City’s Natural Areas .
Herbaceous- plants with non-woody aerial stems which die back to the ground each year.
Inflorescence- an arrangement of one or more flowers on a floral axis.
Monecious- staminate and pistillate flowers borne on the same individual.
Native Plant – A plant species that occurs naturally in a particular region, state, ecosystem, and/or habitat without the direct or indirect influence of human actions [2,3].
Native Selection- A naturally occurring variety of a native plant, selected for cultivation by humans for desirable characteristics .
Non-native- a plant introduced with human help (intentionally or accidentally) to a new place or new type of habitat where it was not previously found.
Noxious Weed- “the non-native aggressive invaders that replace native vegetation, reduce agricultural productivity, cause wind and water erosion and pose and increased threat to communities from wildfire.” .
Panicle- a much branched inflorescence with a central rachis that bears branches which are also branched.
Perennial- living for three years or more.
Persistent- remaining attached.
Pistillate- a unisexual flower where only female reproductive structures are expressed.
Plant Community- a group or association of plant species growing together in a particular habitat.
Pollinizer- a plant that provides pollen.
Program Association- City of Fort Collins programs or initiatives that provide information to the public about vegetation including Xeriscape Incentive Program, Nature in the City and Approved Street Trees.
Rosette- a radiating leaf cluster at or near the base of a plant.
Short-lived- lasting only a short time.
Shrub- woody perennials with more than one principal stem arising from the ground.
Specialists- a species that can only thrive in a narrow range of environmental conditions or has a limited diet.
Spur- a sac-like or tubular projection from the perianth, usually found in columbines.
Staminate- a unisexual flower where only male reproductive structures are expressed.
Subshrub- a plant that is woody at the base and herbaceous at the top.
Subspecies- “is a grouping within a species used to describe geographically isolated variants”  .
Tree- woody perennial with a single main stem or trunk.
United States Native Plant (for City of Fort Collins purposes only)- A plant species that meets the definition of a native plant or native selection and that either occurs or could naturally occur in the United States .
Variety- “A botanical nomenclature division consisting of more or less recognizable entities within a species that are not genetically isolated from each other” .
Water Use (hydrozone)- relates to a plant’s approximate water needs.
- Very Low- indicates a plant that requires an additional 3 gallons of water per square foot per season.
- Low- indicates a plant that requires an additional 8 gallons of water per square foot per season.
- Moderate- indicates a plant that requires an additional 14 gallons of water per square foot per season.
- High- indicates a plant that requires an additional 18 gallons per square foot per season.
Weed- a plant in the wrong place at the wrong time.
1) Noxious Weeds. Colorado Department of Agriculture, website https://ag.colorado.gov/conservation/noxious-weeds , accessed 27 May 2021.
2) United States Geological Survey, (2014). Native Plant Definition. In USGS MOU-Establishing the Federal Native Plant Conservation Committee.
3) Strouse, C. (2021). Native Plant Definitions. [Unpublished] City of Fort Collins.
4) United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, (2010). Subspecies and Variety Definition. In USDA NRCS National Plant Materials Manual, Forth Edition. USDA NRCS.