Summer in the City
A Close-Up Look At How Local Government Works!
This short-term summer camp and service learning program is designed specifically for high school students in partnership with Poudre School District. Students can learn about how their City works, the many career paths available and ways to be civically engaged.
How It Works
Who makes decisions for Fort Collins? Plans the streets? Designs the parks? Makes the water so delicious? The answer is we all have a role in these decisions and it’s time to learn about yours.
What You’ll Do:
- Go on behind-the-scenes tours of City Hall, Police Services, Water Treatment Facilities, learn about partnerships with CSU and other organizations and the City's television/production studio
- Meet City leaders and experts
- Explore service learning opportunities such as natural area maintenance, editing, ordinance analysis, city planning research and more.
- Engage in interactive presentations and exercises with experts from a variety of City departments.
- Receive advice and insight into career paths in local government.
When: Monday, June 11 through Thursday, June 14 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Where: All over your city!
Eligibility: The program is open to all students, freshmen through juniors as of fall 2018, within the Fort Collins growth management area.
A detailed itinerary including logistical information will be posted here in late-May. All students will also be sent a detailed informational email around that same time.
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Applications due Friday, June 8 at midnight.
If you miss the application deadline please email Annie Bierbower at YWJpZXJib3dlckBmY2dvdi5jb20= to see if there are still available spots.
*Each organization must provide proof of insurance and sign a liability waiver*
Do you attend a homeschool, charter school, etc.?
This program is open to all students, grades freshmen through juniors, in the Fort Collins growth management areas. For liability and other tracking purposes, students outside of the public PSD schools need to apply through a separate application.