Summer in the City
2020 Summer in the City Status
To reduce potential spread of COVID-19 and to follow the state and Larimer County’s “safer-at-home” guidelines, Summer in the City is CANCELED at this time. We will consider rescheduling, but that will be determined at a much later date.
Please visit https://www.fcgov.com/eps/coronavirus for current COVID-19 updates.
A Close-Up Look At How Local Government Works!
This short-term summer camp and service learning program is designed specifically for high school students in partnership with Poudre School District. Students can learn about how their City works, the many career paths available and ways to be civically engaged.
How It Works
Who makes decisions for Fort Collins? Plans the streets? Designs the parks? Makes the water so delicious? The answer is we all have a role in these decisions and it’s time to learn about yours.
What You’ll Do:
- Go on behind-the-scenes tours of City Hall, Police Services, Water Treatment Facilities, learn about partnerships with CSU and other organizations and the City's television/production studio
- Meet City leaders and experts
- Explore service learning opportunities such as natural area maintenance, editing, ordinance analysis, city planning research and more.
- Engage in interactive presentations and exercises with experts from a variety of City departments.
- Receive advice and insight into career paths in local government.
Where: All over your city!
Eligibility: The program is open to all currently-enrolled freshmen, sophomores and juniors within the Fort Collins growth management area.
A detailed itinerary including logistical information will be posted here in late-May. All students will also be sent a detailed informational email around that same time.
Applications are not being accepted at this time.
*Each student must provide proof of insurance and sign a liability waiver*
Do you attend a homeschool, private or charter school?
This program is open to all currently-enrolled 9th- through 11th-grade students within the Fort Collins growth management area. For liability and other records purposes, students outside of the public PSD schools need to apply through this separate application form.