Sales Tax update
December sales tax collections, based on retail sales in November 2009.
The next sales tax report will be released on Feb. 22, 2010.
- Sales Tax:
$4,978,292 a decrease of 0.4% compared to December 2008. The December collections are $143,000 lower than the amount expected according to the sales tax seasonal patterns.
At the national level, December collections increased 2.2% compared to the decrease in Fort Collins' sales of 0.4%.
- Use Tax:
- $798,931 in December. Collections decreased 17.8% compared to December 2008. The City is behind budget projections for the month by $1,451,364 when compared to historical data.
- Building permits:
- Receipts decreased 16.4% compared to December 2008.
- Residential Permits pulled:
- 46 remodels, 24 new construction. In December 2008, there were 39 remodels, 2 new construction.
- Commercial Permits pulled:
- 23 remodels, 0 new construction permits. The same numbers occurred in December 2008, there were 22 remodels, 0 new construction permits.
- Sales Tax License:
- 104 applications for new licenses and 140 businesses terminated their license in December. This is a seasonal phenomenon; as the Sales Tax office sends out notices to file year-end taxes, many businesses that have closed during the year report the termination of licenses. This leads to a negative amount of net licenses each December.