Skip to main content


Press Releases

Man safely arrested after 3-hour barricade situation 

Released on Thursday, November 3, 2022

Contact Information

  • Public Information Office, Fort Collins Police Services, 970-818-8950,

Police safely arrested an armed man after a three-hour standoff in northwest Fort Collins.

Just after 12:40 p.m. on November 2, Fort Collins Police Services responded to a call regarding a person in crisis making threatening statements. The caller said the adult male suspect was armed and had fired a gun inside of an apartment on Briarwood Drive.

Police arrived and tried to contact the suspect, Jason Cook, 35, who refused to exit the apartment and continued to behave in a threatening manner. The FCPS SWAT Team and Crisis Negotiation Team responded to assist, and several less-lethal tools were used in an effort to gain his cooperation. Just after 3:30 p.m., Cook exited the home and was safely taken into custody. He was transported to a local hospital for evaluation of minor injuries sustained during the incident, then booked into the Larimer County Jail on the following charges:

Felony menacing against a police officer (class 3 felony)
Illegal discharge of a firearm (class 5 felony)
Reckless endangerment (class 2 misdemeanor) Child abuse - knowingly/recklessly (class 2 misdemeanor) Obstructing a peace officer (class 2 misdemeanor) Resisting arrest (class 2 misdemeanor)

Cook was issued a $10,000 cash/surety bond. Due to the close proximity of the situation, the Poudre High School campus and Poudre Community Academy were placed on secure status (not lockdown) during the incident. During a secure status, no one is permitted to enter or leave the building, but activities continue as usual inside.

“This was a dynamic situation with a lot of safety considerations for neighbors, passing traffic, and nearby schools,” said Lt. Kevin Cronin. “I sincerely appreciate the professionalism and collaboration that officers showed while safely resolving this incident.”

All charges are simply an accusation by law enforcement, and all parties must be presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

[Correction: the original release said that several people were in the home when the incident occurred, but they left and were not injured. They were in the home prior to, but not during, the incident.]