Sept. 19 is National Voter Registration Day; Register to Vote in the 2023 City Election
- Anissa Hollingshead, City Clerk, 970-416-2995, email@example.com
National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday, Sept. 19, and the City of Fort Collins is encouraging everyone to take this opportunity to register to vote, or to verify and update their voter registration.
In Colorado, voters can register through Election Day, which is Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023. However, registering early will ensure voters can receive their ballot in the mail. Larimer County will begin mailing ballots to registered voters on Oct. 16. Eligible voters can register online in just a couple minutes or check or update their registration using secure tools from the Secretary of State’s Office at www.GoVoteColorado.gov.
2023 is the first year that Fort Collins City Council races will be on the November ballot. In 2022, voters approved a Charter amendment moving the municipal election from April to November of odd-numbered years.
This year, voters in Districts 2, 4 and 6 will elect a City Council representative. All Fort Collins voters will also elect a mayor, and will vote on five ballot questions:
- Ballot Issue No. 1: a 0.5% sales and use tax to fund parks and recreation maintenance, programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and expanding and improving transit.
- Ballot Issue No. 2: a 3-mill property tax to support affordable housing.
- Charter Amendment No. 1: revising the City Charter to conform to the Colorado Constitution regarding persons convicted of felonies running for or serving on City Council.
- Charter Amendment No. 2: clarifying City Charter language around the referendum process.
- Charter Amendment No. 3: removing residency requirements for certain staff positions from the City Charter, instead allowing City Council to establish requirements.
The full ballot language for each question is posted at www.fcgov.com/elections/on-the-ballot.
To register to vote in City of Fort Collins elections, individuals must meet all of the following requirements:
- United States citizen
- At least 18 years of age on or before Election Day
- Reside within Colorado for at least 22 days prior to Election Day