Council to Consider Electric Scooter Regulations
- David Young, Communications Specialist, 970-221-6882, ZHlvdW5nQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==
With the spread of electric scooter (e-scooter) use across the nation, the City of Fort Collins City Council will consider updating the City Code to allow stand-up e-scooters and an e-scooter company or companies to operate in the city.
On February 19 and March 5, City staff will request Council approval of proposed e-scooter and other shared and/or portable mobility device related code changes and will present to Council a summary of our proposed regulations to include a Request for Proposals (RFP) process and an encroachment permit process. If successfully managed, the use of e-scooters in Fort Collins could help fill first mile/last mile geographic gaps in the City's transit system, reduce motorized vehicle emissions, improve air quality, expand sustainable travel throughout the city, and provide additional sustainable travel options for those who are mobility-challenged.
If the framework is adopted by Council, in spring, the City, in cooperation with Colorado State University (CSU), will administer an RFP inviting e-scooter companies to submit a proposal for a plan to develop, install, own, operate and maintain an e-scooter share program.
Possible Policy Framework Highlights:
- Vendor will ensure that e-scooters operate at a maximum speed of 15 mph.
- Vendor will ensure that e-scooters are parked only in approved areas: in the sidewalk furniture zone (the section of the sidewalk between the curb and the through zone), beside a bicycle rack not obstructing the pedestrian walkway, or in designated e-scooter parking areas.
- Vendor will provide innovative technological tools, strategies, and methodologies to educate users on how to safely operate the device, encourage parking compliance and keep sidewalks free of device clutter.
- Users will be expected to dismount and walk their scooters at signed dismount areas in Old Town and at CSU.
- Helmet use by riders, while not required by law, will be strongly encouraged.