Sales Tax Update
January Sales and Use Tax Collections
(January sales tax collections are based on retail sales that occurred in December)
- Sales tax: $6,704,831 a decrease of 0.5% compared to January 2008. The collections were $250,000 lower than expected during the seasonal sales tax pattern. In comparison, nationally, collections were down 10%.
- Use tax: $1,073,544, an increase of 6% from January 2008. Collections are ahead for the month by $52,677 when compared to historical data.
- Residential permits pulled: 25 permits, 42 remodel permits. January 2008: 35 permits, 55 remodel permits.
- Commercial permits pulled: 1 permit, 24 remodel permits. January 2008: 1 permit, 26 remodel permits.
- January 2009 Sales Tax licenses: 45 net new licenses
Although we’ve seen modest sales tax increases this tax reporting period, it is very good growth in the current economy.