The Big Jump Project: Northwest Fort Collins
Fort Collins was one of 10 cities in the nation selected to participate in PeopleForBikes’ (PFB) Big Jump Project with the goal of getting more people on bikes. Through this three-year initiative, we will work with community organizations, leaders and residents to implement a comprehensive bicycle program in Northwest Fort Collins with the goal of creating a safe, connected, comfortable and vibrant environment for bicycling.
Increase bicycle ridership and safety by completing a low-stress bicycle network, connecting people to where they want to go, and through a comprehensive neighborhood engagement program.
- Strategic bicycle infrastructure investment and implementation of 2020 Low-Stress Bike Network
- Focused neighborhood engagement, ridership promotion and programming
- Ongoing data collection, research and evaluation
- Partnership and leadership development
2017 Focus Areas
- Baseline data collection through surveys and bicycle counts
- Developing partnerships with community organizations and connecting with other grant projects underway in Northwest Fort Collins
- Completing key connections along the city’s bicycle network, including:
- Pitkin Bikeway (target completion late-June)
- Shields restriping project with new bike lanes (target completion mid – June)
- Maple-to-Maple enhanced bicycle and pedestrian crossing(target completion mid – June)
- Shields & Elizabeth underpass (CSU) (target completion August 2017)
- Public engagement and design for 2018/2019 proposed low-stress bikeway projects, including:
- Magnolia and N. Shields crossing
- Hampshire bikeway corridor
- Protected bike lane pilot project (location TBD)
- Stuart and Taft Hill crossing
- Developing and implementing a neighborhood bicycle ambassador program
- Engaging the community through bicycle-focused events, classes and rides:
- Open Streets: June 4 and September 17
- FC Rides: May 23, 26, June 2, June 16 and July 18
- Bike to Work Day: June 28
Are you ready to take the Big Jump?
- Step 1: Take our brief survey and sign up to stay informed about upcoming opportunities
- Step 2: Participate! This summer there will be lots of opportunities to ride a bike for people of all ages and abilities. Attend one of our programmed activities, or contact us if you’d like a Big Jump ambassador to ride with you.
- Step 3: Fill out a follow-up survey in October/November for the opportunity to win prizes!
FC Bikes Program Manager