Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area
Cathy Fromme Prairie is a rare example of Fort Collins’ pre-settlement shortgrass prairie landscape. Drylands and wetlands here provide habitat to a variety of plants and animals. Look for horned lizards, ground-nesting songbirds, butterflies, rabbits, coyotes and rattlesnakes. The raptor observatory, built into the hillside near the Shields Street entrance, is an excellent place from which to watch hawks and eagles, especially in winter.
The paved Fossil Creek Trail (between Shields Street and Luther Lane) is 2.4 miles one-way. A connection from Cathy Fromme Prairie to Spring Canyon Park and Pineridge Natural Area was built in 2011. Trail map >>>
5:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
There are parking lots at Shields Street (south of Harmony, approximate address is 5381 South Shields Street, Fort Collins) or Fromme Prairie Way (from Harmony take Seneca south to Fromme Prairie Way, approximate address is 1999 Fromme Prairie Way, Fort Collins). One horse trailer parking spot is designated in the Fromme Prairie Way parking lot.
Events & Activities
- Would you like monthly event and activity updates, trail recommendations and more? Sign up for the Natural Areas electronic newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.
- Customized free educational programs at Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area are available for groups, call the Master Naturalist Program at 970-416-2480 or email .
2013 WildflowersWildflower identification sheets are posted on the trailhead bulletin board for your enjoyment in the warmer months (June-October). Thank you Master Naturalist Lynn Rubright for maintaining the bulletin board!
- Late August plants
- August plants posted at Fromme Prairie Way kiosk.
- August plants posted at Shields Street kiosk.
- Late July plants posted at Fromme Prairie Way kiosk.
- Late July plants posted at Shields Street kiosk.
- Mid July plants #1
- Mid July plants #2
- Early July plants
- Mid June plants
- Early June plants
Late May plants
- Fossil Creek Management Plan
- Cathy Fromme Prairie site brochure