Competitive Process for Funding
FALL 2013 PROCESS HAS BEGUN
As part of the City’s Competitive Process for allocating federal and local funds, the City of Fort Collins has begun accepting applications for the use of federal HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) funding, Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding, and the City’s Affordable Housing Fund (AHF) monies. Approximately $1,100,000 is available for distribution. Depending on the submittal category, funds may be used for: acquisition and construction of affordable housing projects, including land purchase; housing rehabilitation; some soft costs related to affordable housing development; and homebuyer assistance programs. Of the money available; $100,000 could be used for public facility or economic development projects in addition to the above housing categories. To determine eligibility for a housing project contact Beth Rosen at 970-221-6812 or Funding for Public Facilities (space for agency direct services to low- and moderate-income clients) is not available at this time. Contact Heidi Phelps for Public Facility information at 970-221-6757 or
Projects in the Public Service category will not be considered for funding in this fall cycle. Funds will be allocated to non-profit agencies, affordable housing providers, and other entities who are serving a majority of Fort Collins clients who are low- and moderate- income households. FUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUALS.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
To apply you must use ZoomGrants. If you need assistance with ZoomGrants, contact Jennifer Harvey, Administrative Assistant, at 970-221-6758 or
Pre-application Deadline – Thursday, July 23, 2013
Applicants will be notified by City staff within two business days of application submittal regarding the proposal’s eligibility to move forward.
Application Deadline – Thursday, August 15, 2013
All Applicants: Materials to Upload with Your Online Application
- List of Board Members and Qualifications/Relevancy
- Board of Directors Approval of Submission (meeting minutes or brief memo)
- If a nonprofit, IRS 501(c)3 designation: 1 page
- A copy of your organization’s latest audit
- Project Operating Budget Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Sources and Uses Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Funding Sources Summary (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Board of Directors Acknowledgement (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Letters of Financial Commitment From Other Funders (loan commitments or letters of interest
Rehab Projects: Also Upload (if applicable)
- a copy of the relocation letter and method of delivery
- census of current residents
The City of Fort Collins works to maintain an open process and encourages applicants to ask for help or information at any time. Any information related to the Competitive Process is always available to applicants. Please contact Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator, at 970-221-6595 or , for assistance.
After Your Application is Submitted
Staff, the CDBG Commission and the Affordable Housing Board (housing applications) review the proposals. Once the Competitive Process application is submitted, applicants may NOT speak with CDBG Commission Members regarding your proposal (ex parte communication), or any staff members other than Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator. If Commission members need clarification on certain items in your proposal, you will be contacted by Heidi Phelps or Sharon Thomas. Applicants respond to Heidi Phelps or Sharon Thomas, who then forwards your answers to the Commission.
Applicant Presentation Dates
Applicant presentations for Fall 2013 take place at 215 North Mason Street in the Community Room the evening of Thursday, September 26, 2013. Applicants will receive notification of a scheduled presentation time. All members of your team should arrive AT LEAST 15 minutes early.
Housing: 5-minute presentation, 15-minute question and answer period.
The CDBG Commission formulates its funding recommendations on Thursday, October 10, 2013, beginning at 6:00 PM in the Community Room at 215 N. Mason Street. Applicants are welcome to attend the meeting, but in fairness to other applicants, may not speak. Final recommendations are not confirmed until the end of the meeting, so those in attendance should plan to stay for the duration of the meeting (several hours). Applicants are notified of the outcome of the Commission’s deliberation session on Friday, October 11, 2013. If you have an issue with the Commission’s funding recommendation on your proposal, you are encouraged to contact one of the following staff members as soon as possible so an attempt can be made to resolve concerns.
- Housing Proposals – Beth Rosen, Affordable Housing Administrator, 970-221-6812 or
- Public Facility Proposals – Heidi Phelps, Grant Programs Administrator, 970-221-6757 or
- Competitive Process – Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator, 970-221-6595 or
Final Fort Collins City Council Decision
City Council holds a public hearing to make final funding allocation decisions for the 2013 Fall Competitive Process on November 19, 2013, 6:30pm, City Hall, 300 Laporte Avenue. Staff will then work with funding grantees on additional due diligence items and contract execution.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
Effective June 11, 2012 the Affordable Housing and Grants Management team has become the Social Sustainability Department under the Sustainability Services Area. In an effort to be more sustainable, the City of Fort Collins uses a web-based application and review tool for the Competitive Process. This has streamlined the process and increased efficiency. Important dates and information:
- Tuesday, July 9, 2013 – Applications are available on our website through ZoomGrants.
- Tuesday, July 23, 2013 – Pre-applications (MANDATORY) are due.
- City staff will notify applicants within two business days of the pre-application submittal as to whether the proposal is eligible to move forward. Once notified that the proposal is eligible, applicants can proceed with the application.
- Monday, August 4 through Friday, August 9 – Mandatory Technical Assistance. Reservations will be accepted through Thursday, August 1. Please call 970-221-6758 or email
- Thursday, August 15, 2013 – Deadline for applications.
- Thursday, September 26, 2013 – Presentations by applicants to CDBG Commission.
- Thursday, October 17, 2013 – CDBG Commission Deliberations meeting for funding recommendations.
- The City has approximately $1.0 million dollars in federal and local monies this cycle to allocate to eligible projects.
Want to know more about the Competitive Process? Read the Competitive Process FAQs.