Competitive Process for Funding
Spring 2014 Funding Process has Begun
As part of the City’s Competitive Process for allocating federal and local funds, the City of Fort Collins will begin accepting applications January 7, 2014 for the use of federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding and the City’s Human Services Program (HSP) monies. Approximately $1,500,000 is available for distribution. There are three proposal categories:
1.) Housing: Acquisition and construction of affordable housing projects, including land purchase, housing rehabilitation, certain “soft” costs related to affordable housing development, and homebuyer assistance programs. Properties must be located in Fort Collins. For more information, or to determine eligibility, contact Beth Rosen at 970-221-6812 or
2.) Public Service: Non-profit agencies serving a majority of people (51% or more) whose income is 80% or below the Area Median Income (AMI) and living in the City of Fort Collins. For more information contact Sharon Thomas at 970-221-6595 or
3.) Public Facility: Space for agencies that provide direct services to low- and moderate- income clients living in Fort Collins. There is limited funding in this category. For more information contact Heidi Phelps at 970-221-6757 or
Funds will be allocated to non-profit agencies, affordable housing providers, and other entities serving a majority of Fort Collins clients who are low- and moderate- income households. FUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUALS.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
To apply you must use ZoomGrants. If you need assistance with ZoomGrants, contact Janet Freeman, Administrative Assistant, at 970-221-6758 or .
All Applicants: Materials to Upload with Your Online Application
- List of Board Members and Qualifications/Relevancy
- Board of Directors Approval of Submission (meeting minutes or brief memo)
- If a nonprofit, IRS 501(c)3 designation: 1 page
- A copy of your organization’s latest audit
- Project Operating Budget Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Sources and Uses Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Funding Sources Summary (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Board of Directors Acknowledgement (download template from ZoomGrants)
- Letters of Financial Commitment From Other Funders (loan commitments or letters of interest
Rehab Projects: Also Upload (if applicable)
- a copy of the relocation letter and method of delivery
- census of current residents
The City of Fort Collins works to maintain an open process and encourages applicants to ask for help or information at any time. Any information related to the Competitive Process is always available to applicants. Please contact Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator, at 970-221-6595 or , for assistance.
After Your Application is Submitted
Staff, the CDBG Commission and the Affordable Housing Board (housing applications) review the proposals. Once the Competitive Process application is submitted, applicants may NOT speak with CDBG Commission Members regarding your proposal (ex parte communication), or any staff members other than Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator. If Commission members need clarification on certain items in your proposal, you will be contacted by Heidi Phelps or Sharon Thomas. Applicants respond to Heidi Phelps or Sharon Thomas, who then forwards your answers to the Commission.
Applicant Presentation Dates
Applicant presentations for Fall 2013 take place at 215 North Mason Street in the Community Room the evening of Thursday, September 26, 2013. Applicants will receive notification of a scheduled presentation time. All members of your team should arrive AT LEAST 15 minutes early.
Housing: 5-minute presentation, 15-minute question and answer period.
The CDBG Commission formulates its funding recommendations on Thursday, October 10, 2013, beginning at 6:00 PM in the Community Room at 215 N. Mason Street. Applicants are welcome to attend the meeting, but in fairness to other applicants, may not speak. Final recommendations are not confirmed until the end of the meeting, so those in attendance should plan to stay for the duration of the meeting (several hours). Applicants are notified of the outcome of the Commission’s deliberation session on Friday, October 11, 2013. If you have an issue with the Commission’s funding recommendation on your proposal, you are encouraged to contact one of the following staff members as soon as possible so an attempt can be made to resolve concerns.
- Housing Proposals – Beth Rosen, Affordable Housing Administrator, 970-221-6812 or
- Public Facility Proposals – Heidi Phelps, Grant Programs Administrator, 970-221-6757 or
- Competitive Process – Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator, 970-221-6595 or
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
Important dates and information:
- Tuesday, January 7, 2014 – Applications available on our website via zoomgrants.com.
- Thursday, January 23, 2014 – Pre-applications (MANDATORY) are due. City staff will notify applicants within two business days of submission of the pre-application regarding the proposal’s eligibility. Once approved, applicants can proceed with the application.
- Monday, February 3 through Friday, February 14, 2014 – MANDATORY Technical Assistance. Reservations will be accepted through January 29, 2014. Please call Janet Freeman at 970-221-6758 or email .
- Thursday, February 20, 2014 – Application Deadline.
- Evenings of March 25, March 26, March 27, April 1, April 2 and April 3, 2014 – Applicant presentations to CDBG Commission. Dates subject to change.
- Thursday, April 10, 2014 – CDBG Commission Deliberations for funding recommendations.
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014 – City Council Meeting, adoption of funding recommendations.
Want to know more about the Competitive Process? Read the Competitive Process FAQs.