Competitive Process for Funding
SPRING 2016 FUNDING PROCESS BEGINS
As part of the City’s Competitive Process for allocating federal and City funds; the City of Fort Collins will begin accepting applications January 7, 2016. Approximately $2,750,000 total is available for distribution. In the Housing/Public Facility category there is about $2,000,000 and about $755,000 in the Public Service category. The three proposal categories are:
1. Housing: Acquisition and construction of affordable housing projects, including land purchase, housing rehabilitation, certain “soft” costs related to affordable housing development, and homebuyer assistance programs. Properties must be located in Fort Collins. For more information, or to determine eligibility, contact Beth Rosen at 970-221-6812 or
2. Public Facility: Space for agencies that provide direct services to low- and moderate- income clients living in Fort Collins. There is limited funding in this category. For more information contact Heidi Phelps at 970-221-6757 or Funding not currently available in this category.
3. Public Service: Non-profit agencies serving a majority of people (51% or more) whose income is 80% or below the Area Median Income (AMI) and living in the City of Fort Collins. For more information contact Sharon Thomas at 970-221-6595 or
Funds will be allocated to non-profit agencies, affordable housing providers, and other entities serving a majority of Fort Collins clients who are low- and moderate- income households. FUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUALS.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
- Thursday, January 7, 2016: Applications available on our website via zoomgrants.com.
- Thursday, January 21, 2016: Pre-application is due. Once your proposal is accepted you will be able to continue with your application. Applications will not be accepted without a pre-application.
- January 26, January 27, February 1, February 4, February 8, February 9, February 10 and February 11, 2016: Technical Assistance (voluntary). Reservations will be accepted through January 29, 2016. Please contact Sharon Thomas at 970-221-6595 or email .
- Thursday, February 18, 2016: Application Deadline.
- Evenings of March 22, March 24, March 29, March 30, and March 31, 2016: Applicant presentations to CDBG Commission. Dates subject to change.
- Thursday, April 14, 2016: CDBG Commission Deliberations for funding recommendations.
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: City Council Meeting, adoption of funding recommendations.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
By using ZoomGrants,™ the Competitive Process application is on the ZoomGrants™ website. Click the link to the right to begin your pre-application. If you need assistance with ZoomGrants, contact Janet Freeman, Administrative Assistant, at 970-221-6758 or .
Two Application Types: Housing and Public Service. Select the category that meets your proposal type. Public Facility applicants should contact a City representative for guidance.
DUNS Number: All applicants must have a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) to apply. To obtain a DUNS number, call 1-866-705-5711. Additional information can be found at whitehouse.gov/omb/grants/duns_num_guide.pdf.
SAM Registration: All applicants must complete a System for Award Management (SAM) activation or registration. For first-time applicants, the process may take more than two weeks to complete. For more information visit www.sam.gov or contact Heidi Phelps at 970-221-6757 or
APPLICATION DEADLINE - THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2016
All Applicants: Materials To Upload with Your Online Application
1) List of Board of Directors Qualifications/Relevancy
2) Board of Directors’ Approval of Submission (meeting minutes, brief memo, or email)
3) If a Nonprofit entity, IRS 501(c)3 Designation: 1st page
4) If a Nonprofit entity, Certification of Good Standing (updated 501(c) 3 designation)
5) If a Nonprofit entity, most recent IRS 990 form
6) A Copy of Your Organization’s Most Recent Audit
Housing Applicants: Also Upload or Download and Complete with Online Application
7) Project Operating Budget Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
8) Sources and Uses Worksheet (download template from ZoomGrants)
9) Funding Sources Summary (download template from ZoomGrants)
10) Board of Directors’ Acknowledgement (download template from ZoomGrants)
11) Letters of Financial Commitment From Other Funders (loan commitments or letters of interest)
12) Market Analysis (upload)
13) General Information Notice (GIN); required for rehab projects and purchases with existing tenants (upload)
14) Census of Current Residents; required for rehab projects and purchases with existing tenants (upload)
15) Method of Delivery; required for rehab projects and purchases with existing tenants (upload)
After Your Application is Submitted
Applicant Presentation Dates
Applicant presentations for Spring 2015 are held at 215 North Mason Street in the Community Room. Currently, the meetings are scheduled for the evenings of March 22, 24, 29, 30, and 31. These dates may change depending on the number of applications received. Applicants will receive notification of a scheduled presentation date and time. All members of your team should arrive at least 15 minutes early (possibly 30 minutes early if your scheduled time is later in the evening).
- Housing: 5-minute presentation; 15-minute question-and-answer period
- Public Facility: 5-minute presentation; 10-minute question-and-answer period
- Public Service: 5-minute presentation; 10-minute question-and-answer period
The CDBG Commission formulates its funding recommendations on Thursday, April 14, 2016, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the CIC Conference Room at 300 Laporte Avenue. Applicants are welcome to attend the meeting, but may not speak during the meeting in order to maintain fairness of process. Final recommendations are not confirmed until the end of the meeting, so those in attendance should plan to stay for the duration of the meeting, which can take several hours.
Applicants are notified of the outcome of the Commission’s deliberation session on Friday, April 15, 2016. If you have a concern with the Commission’s funding recommendation on your proposal, you are encouraged to contact Sharon Thomas, Competitive Process Manager 970-221-6595 or ) to discuss the concerns.
Final Fort Collins City Council Decision
City Council holds a public hearing to make final funding allocation decisions for the 2016 Spring Competitive Process on May 17, 2016, 6:30 PM, City Hall, 300 Laporte Avenue. Following approval of funding staff will work with funding grantees on additional due diligence items and contract execution.
Want to know more about the Competitive Process? Read the Competitive Process FAQs.
The City of Fort Collins maintains an open process and encourages applicants to ask for help at any time, however applicants may NOT speak with CDBG Commission members regarding the proposal (ex parte communication), or with any staff members other than Sharon Thomas, Grant Programs Administrator. For assistance, please contact Sharon Thomas at 970-221-6595 or .