Smoking in Fort Collins
Expansion to Smoking Restrictions
City Council approved additional smoking restrictions on the first of two readings at its February 3, 2015 meeting. The second and final reading will take place at the February 17, 2015 City Council meeting. The new restrictions would ban smoking for the following areas:
- Expanded downtown area, including Old Town Square
- All City owned or operated facilities and their grounds
- All City parks, trails, and natural areas
- Most City-approved events and festivals
Smoking is prohibited in the following areas and types of businesses.
- No smoking in any Fort Collins restaurants and bars.
- No smoking on or within 20 feet of outdoor dining areas or patios abutting a public right-of-way or sidewalk.
- No smoking in any places of employment, except in locations in which the City Code expressly permits smoking.
- No smoking within a 20-foot perimeter outside of the entrances, operable windows, passageways and ventilation systems of smoke-free areas, except for passersby who do not stop.
- No smoking in bowling alleys and bingo parlors.
- No smoking at any of Transfort's public transit facilities, benches, and platforms.
- 100% of hotel/motel rooms must be smoke-free.
- The use of electronic smoking devices will be prohibited in all places where conventional smoking is not allowed.
Smoking is permitted in the following areas:
- You may smoke in private residences (except those in use for public services).
- You may smoke in retail tobacco stores.
- You may smoke in private functions not open to the public.
- You may smoke in smoking cessation rooms or hospital smoking rooms.
- You may smoke in buildings under control of other governments. The decision to allow or prohibit smoking is at the discretion of the government controlling the building.
The local ordinance prohibits retaliation against any employee, applicant for employment or customer due to the exercise of rights under the ordinance. Read the entire "Smoking in Public Areas" municipal code.
If you see smoking where it is not permitted, please report violations by calling 970-416-2200 or online using Access Fort Collins, under Nuisance Reporting.