Skip to main content

Neighborhood Services

Contact Information

Neighborhood Services E-newsletter

Register It.

I'm a non-student, how do I register my party?
Before Thursday at 4:30 p.m., register your Friday or Saturday parties IN PERSON at Neighborhood Services at 281 North College Avenue. You'll need ID to confirm the party host is over 18 and provide contact info. Remember, you need to register to get the call!

I'm a CSU student, how do I register my party?

Party Registration

Prevent Possible Noise Tickets with Party Registration

What's party registration?

Party Registration is an cooperative effort between Colorado State University and the City of Fort Collins to provide party hosts with an opportunity to receive a warning, providing a 20-minute window to voluntarily terminate a party after a noise complaint is received.

can i register any party on any day of the week?

At this time, you can only register parties falling on Fridays and Saturdays. You may also register parties for the following holidays (even if it falls on a weekday): Halloween, 4th of July, New Years and St. Patrick’s Day. Holiday parties MUST be registered one week prior to the holiday.

What Scenarios Could Happen when there's a complaint for a registered Party?
  1. If a noise complaint is received by Police Dispatch and the party is registered, the party host could receive a call informing them about the complaint.
  2. If the host does not answer the call, the police officer will leave a message and call the second number. 
  3. If the second number is not answered, they will leave another message.
  4. From the time of the first phone call, the party host will have 20 minutes to break up their party.
  5. If a second noise complaint is received after the 20-minute grace period, dispatch will send an officer to the residence to deal with the noise.
  6. If there are any other problems, besides noise violations, then the 20-minute warning does not apply.
Party Registration Stats from Spring 2009 to July 2013

What happens if the police show up at my party?

Citations may be issued for unreasonable noise violations to one or all residents. Unreasonable noise is a misdemeanor offense carrying a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and/or six months in jail.

How does the City of Fort Collins respond to a noise complaint for a non-registered party?
  1. A resident calls the non-emergency police number (970-221-6540) to complain about noise.
  2. A city police officer is dispatched to the neighborhood.
  3. The police officer has the discretion to determine if noise from the property is unreasonable. The noise ordinance is in effect 24 hours a day.
  4. Tickets issued by police officers can be given to one or all residents/roommates, with a maximum fine of $1,000 per person.
  5. If you receive a ticket, you will be given a date and time to appear for an arraignment date. On that day, you will be given a written advisement form, and one option listed on that form will be to meet with a prosecuter from the City Attorney's office to discuss possible plea dispositions.
How does CSU respond to a noise complaint for a non-registered party?
Helpful Links
Party Checklist

Other violations that could be copied to CSU include: disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, trespassing, interference with public officers, carrying or drinking alcohol in public, bodily waste, littering, providing alcohol to a minor, selling alcohol without a license, false reporting, DUI, and inciting, arming, or engaging in a riot.

Common Party Violations & Complaints

City Codes

Nuisance Gatherings
Deals with impacts on neighboring properties, resulting from social gatherings. Examples of these impacts could include trash and litter, public urination, and vandalism. This ordinance makes it a misdemeanor criminal offense to the responsible party (the gathering host, not necessarily the people actually littering or vandalizing) when these types of nuisances occur on neighboring private or public property. If abatement is required as a result of a nuisance gathering (such as cleaning up trash in the neighborhood, repairing street signs, etc.) the abatement cost could be charged to the person(s) responsible for the gathering.

Unreasonable Noise - Fine $1,000
No person shall make, continue or cause to be made any unreasonable noise. No person shall knowingly allow such noise upon any premises or in any vehicle owned, possessed, or under the control of that person. Noise complaints are enforced by the City of Fort Collins Police Services. Please call the non-emergency dispatch at 970-221-6540 and select option 2.

Bodily Waste - Fine $100-300
No person shall deposit or allowed to be deposited any human excrement, vomit, spittle, or other bodily waste unless it is deposited in a receptacle intended for such purpose.

Disturbing the Peace - Fine $200
No person shall disturb or aid in disturbing the peace of others by violent, tumultuous, offensive, disorderly or obstreperous conduct and no person shall permit such conduct on any property under that person's control.

Littering - Fine $100
No person shall leave any loose paper, rags, rubbish, waste material, refuse, garbage, trash, or other debris upon a public or private place.

Public Nuisance Ordinance (PNO) for Multiple Violations
In 2000, the Public Nuisance Ordinance (PNO) was established to remedy chronic "problem properties." The City considers a property a problem when city code violations occur on a regular basis annoying or disturbing others, and tickets were issued. The City considers property owners accountable for the use of their properties. After the first ticket is issued, the violator, property owner and property manager receive a letter from the City explaining the PNO consequences, and encouraging positive resolution so no additional tickets are issued. Visit the City Attorney's Public Nuisance Ordinance webpage.

State Statutes

Providing Alcohol to a Minor - Fine $1,000 / 12 months jail
It is unlawful to sell, serve, give away, dispose of, exchange, deliver, or permit the same of alcohol to any person under 21.

Selling Alcohol - Fine $1,000 / 12 months jail
It is unlawful to make, sell, or offer for sale any alcohol unless licensed to do so.

Other Common Violations

Downtown Dismount Zone - $25-75

Disorderly Conduct - Fine $250-500
It is unlawful for any person to knowingly or recklessly: Make a coarse and obviously offensive utterance, gesture or display in a public place. Abuse or threaten a person in a public place. Fight with another in a public place. Display a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

Trespass - Fine $150
No person shall, without legal privilege, enter a vehicle or premises of another, or place restricted to use by gender (restrooms, locker rooms, etc).

Harrassment - $250-500

Interference with Public Officers - Fine $150-500
No person shall use or threaten to use physical interference or obstacle to knowingly obstruct, impair, or hinder any police officer, fire fighter, city employee, or other public official. No person shall, after having been ordered to move on by a police officer, remain in the officer's presence, disrupt, obstruct, hinder, or impair the officer's enforcement of the law.

Carrying or Drinking Alcohol in Public - Fine $75
No person shall carry, have open, or consume any alcohol in any vehicle, public place, school or university.

False Reporting to Authorities - Fine $750 / 6 months jail
It is unlawful to knowingly provide false identifying information such as name, date of birth, address, social security number, drivers license number, or Colorado ID number to police.

Resisting Arrest - $300-750

Riots and Rioting
A public disturbance involving 3 or more people whose conduct creates a danger of damage or injury to people or property or substantially obstructs the performance of any government function.

Inciting a Riot - Fine $5,000 / 18 months jail (3 years / $100,000 for injury or damage)
No person shall incite or urge a group of 5 or more people to engage in a riot.

Arming Rioter - Fine $500,000 / 6 years jail
No person shall supply a deadly weapon or destructive device for use in a riot. No person shall teach another to prepare or use the above with the intent that item is to be used in a riot.

Engaging in a Riot - Fine $1,000 / 12 months jail (6 years / $500,000 for injury or damage)
Anyone convicted of engaging in a riot will not be allowed to attend any state colleges or universities for a period of AT LEAST 1 year.