Citations may be issued for unreasonable noise violations to one or all roommates. Unreasonable noise is a misdemeanor offense carrying a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
CITY OF FORT COLLINS PROCESS
- A neighbor calls the non-emergency police number (970-221-6540) to complain about noise.
- A Fort Collins Police Officer is dispatched to your neighborhood.
- The police officer has the discretion to determine if noise from your property is unreasonable. The noise ordinance is in effect 24 hours a day.
- Tickets issued by police officers can be given to one or all roommates, with a maximum fine of $1,000 per roommate.
- If you receive a ticket, you will be given a date and time to appear for an arraignment date. On that day, you will be given a written advisement form, and one option listed on that form will be to meet with a prosecuter from the City Attorney's office to discuss possible plea dispositions.
For CSU information, visit http://ocssral.colostate.edu/1noise-tickets.aspx. Other violations that could be copied to CSU include: disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, trespassing, interference with public officers, carrying or drinking alcohol in public, bodily waste, littering, providing alcohol to a minor, selling alcohol without a license, false reporting, DUI, and inciting, arming, or engaging in a riot.