Goal level partners are required to annually report on their progress towards or develop a new greenhouse gas reduction goal (Requirement #10).
Partners seeking to become Gold level partners are required to develop a reduction goal based on their GHG baseline and briefly articulate a strategy to reach the reduction target. Your reduction goal should be expressed quantitatively; either in terms of reduced GHG emissions or specific units (e.g., kwH or gallons of water conserved, reduced miles travel, gallons of fuel conserved, pounds/tons of materials recycled, etc.).
Reduction goals can be specific or general and measured in the short or long term.
- Specific goals might include reducing airline miles traveled, increasing bike commutes, increasing waste diversion rates, etc. Specific goals can also be articulated in terms of GHG reduction, such as reducing GHG emissions from transportation by 25% in 2010, based on a 2008 baseline.
- General goals might include those that cover operations in general, such as reducing GHG emissions by 20% by 2015.
Existing Gold/Platinum partners: If you are an existing Gold/Platinum partner we ask that you provide a status report on your progress toward goals set in previous years. If you have met a prior goal, please develop a new one. Submit goal documentation via myClimateWise.
Topics for Goal Setting
- Greenhouse gas emissions
- Four areas of the ClimateWise program
- Energy (kWh, therms, btus, etc.)
- Transportation (VMTs, gallons of use, etc.)
- Waste (pounds, % diversion, etc.)
- Water (gallons, etc.)
- Others, including “non-quantifiable”
- Generalized counts
- Awareness and education
Goal Setting Criteria
Sample Goal using Goal Setting Criteria
- Energy: Poudre School District – 1.5% yearly consumption reduction over ten year period
- Transportation: Colorado State University – 25% reduction of fleet petroleum use by 2012
- Waste: The Brendle Group – zero waste by 2010
- Water: LEED – 30% annual indoor water use
Goal Setting Resources
Explore these resources to find ideas for goal setting:
- ENERGY STAR
- Fort Collins Utilities Keep Current
- Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional Resource Guide
- Zero Energy Research Institute
- Yourself and your own utility/GHG baseline
Physical Address: 200 W. Mountain Unit A, Fort Collins, CO 80521
Phone: (970) 221-6700
Fax: (970) 221-6619