City of Fort Collins Management Assistant Program
The City of Fort Collins Management Assistant program allows current Master of Public Administration students and recent graduates the opportunity to gain valuable career experience in a wide variety of areas of municipal operations. This position provides future municipal leaders with the opportunity to learn from seasoned professionals in a community consistently rated as one of the best places to live in the country. The Management Assistant will have the opportunity to learn about the inner-workings of a full-service city.
The Management Assistant will be provided the opportunity to work on projects based in a variety of City departments while maintaining a "home base" in the City Manager's Office. Management Assistant will be involved in research, analytical work, and managing special projects. This position represents a one-year internship.
For a detailed description of the position, click here.
2016 Recruitment Process
Essential Duties and Responsibilites
- Assist the City Manager's Office in researching high-level issues of concern as they arise.
- Performs entry level program analysis, organizational and administrative field studies, and statistical analysis of research data.
- Reports findings of research or study to the City Manager or other executive staff and elected officials in writing and in person.
- Participate in development and implementation of City's Performance Excellence Program.
- Act as a liaison between the City and the community at City events.
- Attends weekly City Council and Executive Lead Team meetings
- Attend meetings on behalf of or in conjunction with management.
- Plan and coordinate various meetings.
- Attend skill and knowledge development conferences.
- Participate in the City Budget process.
- Review, update and implement department operations policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to Public or Business Administration, Political Science, social sciences or closely related field. Applicants must have completed or substantially completed coursework toward a Master of Public Administration or closely related degree by June 2016.
Application deadline is Tuesday, January 19th, 2016 at 5:00 PM, MST. Applicants shall submit the following to Tyler Marr, City Manager’s Office, or P.O. Box 580, Fort Collins, CO, 80522:
- A cover letter stating interest and intent;
- A current resume;
- An academic or professional writing sample of no more than five pages;
- Three references with daytime phone numbers.
Tyler Marr will earn his MPA from the University of Kansas in April of 2016. He completed undergraduate work in 2014, graduating from Colorado State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science. Prior to serving as the Graduate Management Assistant, Tyler worked for Johnson County, Kansas (2014-2015) and completed undergraduate internships with both the City of Fort Collins and the Colorado General Assembly. Tyler's desire to work for a data-driven organization that provides residents with world-class services led him to Fort Collins. He is honored to have the opportunity to serve the community as a Graduate Management Assistant.
|1983-84||Wendy Williams||City of Fort Collins, CO||Assistant City Manager|
|Mark Rohloff||City of Oshkosh, WI||City Manager|
|1984-85||Jody Kole||Grand Junction, CO Housing Authority||Executive Director|
|Deborah Sagen||University of Colorado - Health Center||Associate Director|
|Susan Loo||City of Louisville, CO||City Councilmember|
|1985-86||Ann Turnquist||Poudre Fire Authority||Administrative Services Director|
|Mark Campbell||Multnomah County, OR||Acting Chief Financial Officer|
|Don Gaeddert||City of Larned, KS||Retired City Manager|
|1986-87||Julia Novak||Novak Consulting||President|
|Todd Vance||VA Hospital, Salem, VA||Clinical Psychologist, Adjunct Professor|
|1989-90||Jon Ruiz||City of Eugene, OR||City Manager|
|Steve VanderMeer||Hometown Connections||Senior Vice President|
|1990-91||Kristin Epley||University of Colorado - Boulder||Sustainability Project Manager|
|1991-92||Stet Schanze||Gray Manufacturing||President|
|2000-01||Heather Brooks||Alamosa, CO||City Manager|
|2002-03||Sam McFerran||First Church (UCC)||Minister of Faith Formation|
|2011-12||Josh Jones||County of Lake, CA||Deputy County Administrative Officer|
|2012-13||Kelly Unger||Town of Windsor, CO||Assistant to the Town Manager|
|2013-14||Pamela Weir||Sierra Vista, AZ||Management Analyst|
|2014-15||Travis Machalek||Estes Park, CO||Assistant Town Administrator|