Community Development Block Grant Commission
The CDBG Commission advises the City Council on matters pertaining to the City's Competitive Process which includes funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Investment Partnership (HOME) Program, and the City's Affordable Housing Fund (AHF) and Human Services Program (HSP).
HUD provides federal grant funds to the City to meet affordable housing and community development needs of low and moderate income people. The City receives about $1.5 million from HUD and just under $1 million from the General Fund annually. Program funds are typically used for housing, human services, and community development programs, projects, and activities.
Regular Meeting Schedule:
2nd Thursday of each month
- A special interest in the needs of low-income persons, and in big picture social sustainability efforts within the community.
- An understanding of the dynamics of people in poverty.
- A non-prejudicial world view, especially in regarding to economic class or legally protected groups of people.
- An appreciation for the role and work of affordable housing providers and human services agencies.
- Ability to work in team with others to make reasoned, objective funding recommendations representing the policies and directives of City Council.
- A special interest in or sensitivity to the needs of persons with disabilities.
3 hours per month, except March and September, which require approximately 20 hours each.
Several meetings are usually cancelled each year, due to lack of pressing agenda items.
The main spring meetings commitment is critical to CDBG Commission membership, and usually takes place the last week of March. It involves three consecutive night meetings, each lasting 3.5 to 4 hours.
Current Members: Interested in applying?
Council Liaison: Kristin Stephens
December 31, 2014 Kay Rios, Gordon Coombes and Bob Browning
December 31, 2015 Anita Basham, Catherine Costlow and Margaret Long
December 31, 2017 Holly Carroll, Jamaal Curry and Kristin Stephens