Ask the Cemetery question/comment form
The need for a burial site in Fort Collins arose in 1864 during the establishment of the Fort Collins Military Post by Lt. Col. William O. Collins. The burial ground was located on high ground about one half-mile southwest of the post (present day location of the old Post Office at Oak Street and College Avenue).
During the military occupation of Fort Collins through 1867, less than a dozen soldiers appear to have ended their days. According to Ansel Watrous in the History of Larimer County that was published in 1911, six to 10 unidentified remains were found. One burial did contain a small bottle with a note written about the deceased.
The remains were those of W. W. Westfall of Company J, 13th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry who died on November 3, 1865.
The Post Cemetery was abandoned in 1873 and during that year, ground (presently the area around Eastdale Drive) southeast of the town was purchased and laid out with burial lots. The new cemetery was named Mountain Home. Westfall's remains, those of the other unknown soldiers, and some burials of early settlers were moved to the new site.
As the population grew rapidly in the mid-1880's, it was decided to move the cemetery again in order to keep it in a rural setting.
This site was used in the early 1920's, after the removal of remains, as a playground for the citizens of south Fort Collins.