Cable Franchise Renewal Process
The City has a non-exclusive cable franchise agreement in effect with the local subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. It became effective on March 17, 2006 and expires on July 31, 2015. With the pending expiration of the current franchise agreement, Comcast and the City have been in the process of negotiating a new franchise agreement. The proposed agreement and new customer service standards are scheduled to be presented to City Council for approval on June 2, 2015.
The renewal process included an overall evaluation of Comcast's compliance with our current franchise agreement; a very detailed community needs assessment to identify community expectations, City staff review of the current state of the cable industry and active negotiations with Comcast. The City worked with consultants to evaluate the financial, technical, and customer service standards compliance to ensure that Comcast is meeting the obligations outlined in the Franchise Agreement.
Feedback from citizens and the community concerning Comcast cable television service was an integral element of the negotiations process, informing staff and Comcast of the needs and desires of the community.
Some key elements of the franchise are:
- Service area: The franchise requires that Comcast provide service to all residents within The City of Fort Collins. There may be charges for installation depending on the specific circumstances of each residence; please contact Comcast for details.
- Comcast Work: Comcast has the right to occupy and access right-of-way easements located adjacent to both subscriber and non-subscriber property to install and maintain their cable infrastructure. Comcast must provide notice when undertaking such work and the notice requirements are set out in the Customer Service Standards.
- Programming: Pursuant to federal law, the City cannot require specific programming (other than that the company must provide diverse programming), influence the cost of service, or regulate other services provided over cable (such as high speed internet and digital voice services).
Concerns or complaints related to the franchise or Customer Services Standards should be directed to the City's Franchise Administrator, Carson Hamlin, at 970-221-6510.
Franchise Renewal Process Timeline
- City Organization and Community Needs Assessment
- Technical Audit
- Financial Audit
- Final Negotiations
- Presentation of the proposed agreement to Council (June 2nd)
What is Broadband?
Broadband often refers to high-speed Internet access that is always on and faster than traditional dial-up service, however the term can also apply to cable television sometimes referred to as a “classic” broadband system.
Broadband users can access such services as internet, streaming media, internet phone (VoIP), gaming, TV and interactive services via a digital subscription, cable modem, fiber, wireless, satellite or broadband over power lines (BPL).
In accordance with FCC regulations, the City’s Comcast franchise cannot regulate internet, VoIP, streaming services, gaming and satellite services.
What the City’s franchise with Comcast covers:
- Cable television
- Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) access television
What the City’s franchise with Comcast does not cover:
- Streaming services
Sources: Broadband.gov, CBG Communications, Inc.
For more information on our broadband intitiative, please visit fcgov.com/broadband
Current Cable TV Franchise Agreement & Customer Service Standards:
- Cable TV Franchise Agreement with Comcast Cable (January 17, 2006; PDF/59 pages; 165KB)
- Customer Service Standards Cable Television (PDF/23-pages; 78KB)
2014 Cable TV Needs Assessment & Attachments:
- Cable Television Community Needs & Interests Assessment Survey Results prepared by Constance Ledoux Book, Ph.D. (February 2014; PDF/195pages; 2.1MB)
- Attachment A: Citizen Survey (PDF/8-pages; 554KB)
- Attachment B: Online Residential Questionnaire (PDF/298-pages; 819KB)
- Attachment C: PEG Access Equipment Projections (PDF/6-pages; 374KB)
- Attachment D: Driveout Results (PDF/10-pages; 174KB)
- Attachment E: Financial Audit Document Request (PDF/7-pages; 78KB)