Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Seal and insulate air leaks in ductwork located in attics or crawl spaces.
Free Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event, Sept. 7
Posted on: Aug-23-2019
Community members can dispose of their household hazardous wastes for free at the City of Fort Collins' Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event, Saturday, Sept. 7, 9 a.m.- 3 p.m., Streets Facility, 625 Ninth St. (map and FAQs at fcgov.com/HHW).
Accepted items (non-leaking):
- painting products
- household batteries
- fluorescent bulbs
- cleaning and automotive products
- vitamins and supplements
- personal care products (hair products, lotions)
- mercury-containing items (thermostat and appliance switches, thermometers, button-shaped batteries)
Spring Back Colorado mattress recyclers also will collect mattresses and box springs for $15/each (cash or charge). More information: SpringBackCO.org.
Items not accepted (visit fcgov.com/AtoZ for disposal options):
- bio-waste (needles, bandages)
- commercial and industrial waste
Tips for packing and transporting:
- Store items upright in boxes or tubs (do not bring in bags).
- Place similar items together (do not stack or pile on top of each other).
- Ensure containers are sealed and not leaking.
- Store acids and oxidizers separately, away from each other and other hazardous products.
- Keep items away from children and pets.
In addition to being poisonous to humans and wildlife, hazardous wastes can be explosive, highly flammable and corrosive. Do not dispose of hazardous wastes by pouring them down a sink or storm drain or by tossing them into the trash. Wastewater treatment plants and sanitary landfills are not designed to handle this waste.
Residents also may take their household hazardous products year-round to the Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Facility (larimer.org/solidwaste/haz/household).
The Timberline Recycling Center’s Hard-to-Recycle Yard, 1903 S. Timberline Rd., (fcgov.com/TRC) is another free option for year-round recycling of antifreeze, batteries, motor oil, paint and plastic bags. Visit fcgov.com/AtoZ for additional options.