West Vine Poudre Trail Improvements Bring Connectivity to Northwest Fort Collins
The West Vine Poudre Trail connection off Lancer Drive near Lincoln Middle School opened this week, bringing improved connectivity and safety to northwest Fort Collins.
This project is part of a larger effort by multiple City departments, the County, and other partners to improve bicycle and pedestrian access, connect people to nature, and provide neighborhood connectivity in northwest Fort Collins. These improvements provide safer connectivity to schools and neighborhoods, the Poudre Trail, Safe Routes to School, the Boys & Girls Club, and other nearby destinations. The trail connections also add to the already extensive paved trail network running throughout Fort Collins.
Over the last several years, City departments including Park Planning & Development, Natural Areas, FCMoves, Engineering, Parks and Larimer County Department of Natural Resources have worked collaboratively on the following trail, pedestrian and bike system improvements:
- A paved trail connection between the Poudre Trail and Lincoln Middle School
- On street bike and pedestrian improvements along Lancer Drive to Vine Drive, and along Vine Drive to the new Puente Verde Natural Area (Green Bridge in Spanish)
- A signalized bike and pedestrian crossing on Vine Drive and Taft Hill Road
- A soft surface trail across the new Puente Verde Natural Area, providing southwest diagonal access from Vine Drive to Taft Hill Road (under construction).
- An existing paved trail from Taft Hill Road that completes the connection to Irish Elementary and neighborhoods south of Vine Drive.
For more information on these projects, please visit fcgov.com/nwtrailconnections.
Residents asked to recreate responsibly during COVID-19
While the City of Fort Collins continues to manage community-wide impacts related to COVID-19, trail users are encouraged to follow recommended guidelines from public health partners including maintaining physical distancing, washing hands frequently, and wearing a face covering or mask in crowded areas. For more information about the City’s response to the coronavirus, visit fcgov.com/coronavirus.
For additional information on low-stress bicycling routes, please visit fcgov.com/bicycling/fort-collins-bike-network