Horsetooth and College Intersection Improvements begin May 29
- Dan Woodward, Project Manager, 970-416-4203, ZHdvb2R3YXJkQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==
Improvements to the Horsetooth Road and College Avenue intersection will begin after Memorial Day and continue through the end of the year. The project will require full traffic closures on Horsetooth from mid-June through mid-September. Lane closures on College and Horsetooth can be expected throughout the project duration.
The planned closures are:
- June 18-July 16: East Horsetooth between College Avenue and Mitchell Drive
- July 16-Sept. 9: West Horsetooth between College Avenue and Mason Street
No left turns will be permitted in any direction during the closures, and will be limited periodically throughout construction. Business access will be maintained at all times.
The Horsetooth and College intersection is one of the busiest in Fort Collins and is a top-ranked location for safety and operational improvements. Currently the intersection experiences heavy congestion during peak traffic times and a high number of left-turn crashes.
The last time safety and operational improvements were made to this intersection was in 1996.
“This will be a significant improvement for the growing Midtown to address safety, congestion, comfort and aesthetics,” said project manager Dan Woodward. “Although the construction will be impactful, the closures, night and weekend work will maximize what we can complete in each phase, which will substantially accelerate the overall project schedule.”
The intersection improvements will include:
- Dual left-turn lanes on College and Horsetooth in all directions
- Northbound and southbound right-turn lanes on College with pedestrian refuge islands
- Improved bicycle and pedestrian facilities on Horsetooth from Mason Street to Mitchell Drive
- Full replacement of the Horsetooth bridge over Larimer Canal No. 2
- Widen existing College bridge over the canal and replace pedestrian bridge
- Landscaped medians and urban design elements to create a warm and friendly intersection
Typical work hours for this project will be 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and some Sundays, with occasional night work 8 p.m.-6 a.m. Sundays-Thursdays.
Recommended vehicle detour routes will be along Drake Road, Harmony Road, Shields Street and Lemay Avenue. Pedestrians and bicyclists in the area will detour along Mason Street, Creger and Bockman drives, JFK Parkway and Monroe Drive.
For more information and to sign up for project updates, visit www.fcgov.com/horsetoothandcollege.