MAX to Make Its World Premiere
Show archived press release
Residents attending the debut of MAX service on Saturday, May 10 are encouraged to take alternative modes of transportation to reach the many activities available along the five-mile line.
MAX, a service of the City of Fort Collins and Transfort, represents the largest infrastructure project in the community’s history. MAX is the Front Range’s first bus rapid transit system and is funded through a variety of federal, state and local partners. A service of Transfort, MAX is the 20th route to support public transportation in Fort Collins and will be free to ride throughout the summer until August 24.
Key information for Saturday’s world premiere events:
- Transfort shuttle service will be provided from the Mall Transfer Point located on Stanford Road to the South Transit Center from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Shuttle service will be available every 10 minutes from 9:30-11:30 a.m.) Dignitaries from Washington, D.C., Denver and Fort Collins will officially open the newly constructed South Transit Center and celebrate the start of MAX service with a ceremonial ribbon cutting starting at 10 a.m. at the STC, 4915 Fossil Blvd.
- Become one of the first riders of the southbound MAX bus at the Downtown Transit Center at a second “Ribbon Cutting” at 11:10 a.m. Poudre Fire Authority will have fire trucks on site with a radio countdown for the departure of the first bus.
- The public is encouraged to walk, ride a bicycle or ride Transfort to launch day events including the South Transit Center ribboncutting or to any of the 12 individual stations along the route where they can hop on MAX. Bike parking is available at various MAX stations.
- Limited park-and-ride spaces are available at select MAX stations: the South Transit Center has 175 spaces; Troutman has 18 spaces; Horsetooth has 20 spaces; Drake has 75 spaces; and the Downtown Transit Center boasts 125 spaces with the Civic Center parking garage across the street.
- All Transfort routes are free all day Saturday, May 10. The South Transit Center and Downtown Transit Center will also be open from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for customer service.
- Plan a trip to the MAX opening through the MAX App available at iTunes and Android stores or go to ridetransfort.com.
- MAX Station Parties will run from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Similar to Bike to Work Day, each MAX station party is being coordinated and supported by a variety of public and private partners. Opening Day will offer six large station parties and eight MAX welcome stations. MAX Ambassadors will be available along the corridor to direct people to the next party and answer questions about MAX and other Transfort routes. Station parties will have food, free entertainment, and MAX information.
- Pick up a special event MAX Premiere Passport and have it stamped at each of the 14 station parties to be eligible to win special prizes. Each station will have passports available to participate and have a unique stamp to commemorate a visit. Complete the passport and receive a free gift – at either the Downtown or South Transit Center on Saturday, May 10.
MAX is a new and convenient, modern transit route offering service every 10 minutes during peak service hours and real-time bus arrival information at each station. MAX connects Downtown Fort Collins, Colorado State University, Midtown and south Fort Collins, providing access to popular destinations and employment centers for the community.
Funded by the Federal Transit Administration, Colorado Department of Transportation, Colorado State University, Colorado State University Research Foundation, the Fort Collins Downtown Development Authority, and the City of Fort Collins, the $87 million project developed from a community conversation and long term planning effort to provide a transportation spine that would encourage economic redevelopment and catalyst projects in the heart of Fort Collins. Learn more about MAX at fcgov.com/max.
Transfort is the City of Fort Collins public transportation provider. Transfort offers friendly, safe, convenient bus service in Fort Collins and beyond. MAX Bus Rapid Transit, Dial-A-Ride, FLEX regional service and the Green and Gold routes are all services of Transfort. The system was named “Large Transit System of the Year” at the 2013 Colorado Association of Transit Agencies (CASTA)/Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) Fall Transit Conference and Expo. For more information about Transfort services and programs, visit ridetransfort.com.