Contact Information Contact Information
Prospect & Timberline Construction Updates Prospect & Timberline Construction Updates
Prospect and Timberline Intersection Improvements
The proposed improvements are derived from the 2005 Building on Basics (BOB) sales and use tax for capital improvement projects. Interim intersection improvements were constructed in 2005, the upcoming project will take the intersection to it's ultimate improvement level.
In 2011, the Engineering Department completed an Arterial Intersection Prioritization Study which listed the Prospect Road and Timberline Road intersection as one of the top ranked locations for needed safety and operational improvements. Existing problems which brought this intersection to the top of the list included: significant congestion during the peak hours, higher than average vehicle accident rates, and intersection delay. The project will include multi-modal facility improvements to create a safer and more efficient intersection for all users.
- Improve safety and overall efficiency for vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians
- Reduce the accident rate by modifying the configuration of the intersection
- Improve air quality by reducing vehicle wait time (delay)
- Construct landscaping improvements in medians and parkways
- Deconstruction of two silos (to be rebuilt at the new Southeast Community Park)
The Intersection Study identified the need for a "free" right turn lane from eastbound Prospect Road to southbound Timberline Road; along with an acceleration lane on Timberline Road to receive this turning movement. Porkchop islands will be added at right turn lanes to reduce pedestrian crossing lengths. Curb, gutter, parkways and sidewalks will be added to southbound Timberline, along with landscaped medians. Additionally, the Timberline Road and Great Western Railroad crossing will be rebuilt to accommodate the roadway expansion as a future phase.
The project will be funded through the Building on Basics (BOB) Intersection Funds from the voter approved quarter-cent sales tax. The project is identified as "Timberline Road - Drake Road to Prospect Road" from the 2005 ballot language. More specifically, the ballot language stated, "This project will expand Timberline Road to four (4) lane arterial standards including travel lanes, sidewalks, bike lanes, landscaped medians, and other necessary improvements. The project will include improvement to the Timberline / Prospect intersection and all its approaches to add additional turn lanes".
- Complete the intersection paving by the end of October (including a full closure of the intersection on Friday night, October 21 thru Sunday evening, October 23 for top lift asphalt paving)
- Complete intersection sidewalks and intersection landscaping by mid-November
- Complete Timberline Road reconstruction, road widening and sidewalks by late November (weather dependent)
- Complete Timberline medians and landscaping in Spring of 2017.
- Timberline railroad crossing at Great Western tracks will occur between summer 2017 and summer 2018 – date pending railroad coordination.
A detailed communication plan is being developed and will be implemented with the final design phase through construction. The communication plan will highlight milestone dates, press releases, social media outlets and specific outreach methods for residents and the traveling public.Check back here often for exact construction dates. Additionally, the project construction information will be available on our interactive trip planner, FC Trip.
Mark Laken | Capital Projects Engineer | 970-222-3546 | bWxha2VuQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==