Skip to main content

Development Review Guide

Sign Development Agreement and Record Final Mylars
Apply for a Development Construction Permit (DCP)

Record Final Mylars | Sign Development Agreement | Vested Rights | DCP

Record Final Mylars

Once all outstanding proposal issues are addressed, your staff engineer or planner will let you know to print your final plans on mylar. You will need to make one copy of your planning set, one copy of the utility plan set and three copies of your plat, if applicable.

Before submitting the mylars for final processing, they must be signed by the property owners and any off-site owners identified during staff review as signatories in the proposal (for example, neighbors for an off-site easement, ditch company representatives or railroad representatives). The owners certification along with any other required signatures and notarizations must be made with a black or dark blue indelible pen such as a Staedtler Lumocolor or fine-point Sharpie. City staff will not sign the mylars until the owners certification is complete (this step verifies the owner is aware of the development proposal and agrees to abide by the conditions and restrictions described on the plans).

Once owner signatures and notarizations are executed, the mylars are delivered to your staff engineer for staff signatures. The City Engineer and representatives from the various utilities will sign the utility plans. The Planning Services Director will sign the planning set. If utility plans were not required and information was presented on a combined site, landscape, grading and detail plan, you will instead need to submit four paper copies of the signed site/landscape plan so each involved utility department will have a reference copy. This will eliminate potential problems with building permit issuance.

Sign Development Agreement

While the mylars are routed for City signatures, your staff engineer will draft the development agreement (DA). This agreement provides for the installation of all improvements in your development as required by the Land Use Code. The agreement will establish the extent to which both you and the City are to participate in the cost of constructing any public improvements. The approval of your final plans hinges on the complete execution of this document so it is important that you work closely with your assigned staff engineer.

To start the process, you fill out the DA information sheet and return to your staff engineer. Drafting the document takes approximately two to three weeks, depending on the complexity of your proposal. Once drafted, you receive a copy for your review. If everything meets with your approval, your staff engineer will make three copies and give them to you for original signatures. When you return all signed copies to us, we will obtain all necessary City signatures. An original signed copy is returned to you for your records.

After the plans are signed and we have the signed Development Agreement (DA) in hand, we will return both to you for copying. We will need one set of utility mylars for our files plus seven wetstamped paper copies for routing to various departments.

Vested Rights

Once final plans are filed with the City and County Clerks offices, the project has vested rights to build for a period of three years. Within a maximum of three years following the approval of a final plan or other site specific development plan, the applicant must undertake, install and complete all engineering improvements (water, sewer, streets, curb, gutter, street lights, fire hydrants and storm drainage) in accordance with City codes, rules and regulations. During this term of vested rights, the applicant must complete all public improvements for the project or forfeit vested rights. Extension periods may be granted by the Planning Services Director. Refer to Land Use Code Section 2.2.11(D) for further information.

Building Permit: Apply for a Development Construction Permit (DCP)

A development construction permit (DCP) is required for all development constructing public infrastructure improvements that, upon completion, will be owned or maintained by the City. The DCP facilitates the transition from completion of development review into construction of the project. Your staff engineer coordinates this step.

In order to receive a DCP, you will submit paperwork, pay fees and attend a coordination meeting. In addition to the application, you'll need to fill out a Project Quantities and Cost Estimate spreadsheet. This spreadsheet calculates two important numbers: the total cost of the public infrastructure to be bonded or secured with a letter of credit (LOC) and the inspection fees, which you will pay with cash or check made out to the City of Fort Collins. The spreadsheet is reviewed and approved by a City Development Construction Inspector.

In the meanwhile, your staff engineer invites the City's Chief Construction Inspector and representatives from all of the public and private utilities involved in the project to a DCP meeting. At this meeting, you and/or your contractor and all of the various utilities will ask questions about the upcoming construction and "get on the same page."

Once we receive the bond/LOC and inspection fees, your staff engineer issues your DCP. Let the grading and utility work begin. All public infrastructure is constructed and in place prior to the issuance of a building permit.

Step 9: development inspection