Skip to main content

Development Review Guide

Submit Final Plans and Submit Building Permit Application

Congratulations on Your Hearing Approval! | Final Plans | What is a Building Permit? | When is a Building Permit Required? | How Much Will my Building Permit Cost? | Licensed Contractors are Required

Congratulations on Your Hearing Approval!

This approval is also known as 'entitlement' or 'preliminary approval'. Most lending institutions look to see if you have this approval before approving any construction loans. After your hearing, there is a 10-day appeal period when any party-in-interest may appeal the decision of the Administrative Hearing Officer or Planning and Zoning Board in accordance with the City Clerk's appeal guidelines. If there is little likelihood of an appeal, you may choose to proceed with final plan review at your own risk of appeal. Once the appeal period has past and no appeal was filed, you are officially ready to proceed with final plan review.

Final Plans

Final plans refer to the plans filed on mylar for your PDP. They are the same set of plans you took to the hearing and a full utility plan set. The goal of final plan review is to get your plans 100% complete and ready for recording. The Planning Director gives approval to final plans; there is no additional public hearing. In final plan review, staff focuses on the details of your plans including the final plat document, architectural finishes, details of all utilities, grading, public improvements and specific plant specifications. Staff also reviews your responses to any remaining comments that you received prior to the hearing.

Using the final plan submittal and checklist, create and assemble what you need to submit. Each item on the submittal checklist is explained in detail in the submittal requirements list. Please ensure you have the proper number of copies of each item and that all plans are folded properly. Your staff planner and engineer can customize a final plan routing sheet checklist for you or you may submit the standard number of copies listed on the submittal checklist. Many many cases, City staff and agencies have not seen your plans since you first submitted them. The final plan review submittal is bigger so all reviewers have the opportunity to see changes occurring to your proposal since the beginning.

Contact the Development Review Center at 970-221-6750 to schedule a submittal appointment. Bring your complete submittal package to the Development Review Center customer counter at 281 North College Avenue (southwest corner of College and Maple) including:

  • signed application form,
  • your response to any remaining conceptual review comments from before the hearing,
  • complete full-sized set of plan, folded properly,
  • any other applicable documents, and
  • review fees (including TDRF and Final Plan Development Review fees).

Items must be submitted as separate documents because not all departments need to review all of the items. If you have any questions about combining items or about whether a requirement is applicable, contact your staff planner first before submitting. Incomplete submittals are accepted nor are they held until complete, so be sure to contact your staff planner if there is any question about the submittal requirements.

Once we receive your submittal at the Development Review Center, it is routed to all City departments and outside agencies to review it, just like during PDP. Final plans are discussed at staff review four weeks following the submittal date. Your staff planner or engineer can request a second round of final plan review or revisions if needed.

Final plans must be submitted within three years of preliminary approval. If final plans are not submitted within three years of approval, the proposal expires. Proposals receive vested rights only after final plan approval.

Building Permit - Submit Application

What is a Building Permit?

A building permit is a document legally allowing construction, destruction, or modification of property within a certain jurisdiction. Building permits provide protection for building occupants. The plan review done as part of the permit process ensures the proposed construction meets the requirements of adopted building codes, as well as other City code requirements. Construction projects must comply with the 1997 Uniform Building Code for commercial construction, and the 2003 International Residential Code for residential construction. Refer to a list of all currently adopted codes and standards, together with the Citys amendments to those codes. Building permits are required prior to starting any work.

If you are preparing to start a new construction project or a total redesign or facelift of your current property, many resources are available to assist you through the our Development Review Center located at 281 North College Avenue or online at Keep in mind that we are here to help: it is much easier and less costly to identify needed changes before construction occurs!

When is a Building Permit Required?

Any new construction or remodel/addition to an existing structure involving structural work, electrical, plumbing, heating, cooling, energy conservation and fire alarms requires a building permit. Call the Development Review Center at 970-221-6760 or visit for more information on whether your project requires a permit. The list includes, but is not limited to:

  • new buildings and additions/remodels,
  • any work that adds to or modifies mechanical, electrical or plumbing systems
  • structures such as decks (if over 30 above grade), fences (if over 6 tall), patio covers, sunshades, pergolas and other miscellaneous structures that exceed 120 square feet or are over 8 tall, and
  • replacing or adding air conditioners, furnaces, fireplaces, gas log inserts, water heaters, wood stoves or re-roofing (any repair or replacement of greater than one square of roofing).

Over-the-counter permits are available for items such as installation/replacement of air conditioners, furnaces, hot water heaters, gas logs, fireplaces, heating units, lawn sprinklers and wood stoves. As well, they include electrical alterations not involving a service change, and gas/sewer line installations. You can easily fill out the over-the-counter application by dropping by the Development Review Center at 281 North College Avenue. These permits do not require any plan review and aare processed and issued while you wait.

For all other permits, a plan review is required. Submittal requirements vary by type of construction project. Refer to the comprehensive list of submittal requirements. Using these lists, create and assemble what you need to submit. Please ensure you have the proper number of copies of each item. Development Review Center counter staff at 970-221-6760 can help you with any questions you may have about submittal requirements.

Bring your complete submittal package to the Development Review Center customer counter at 281 North College Avenue (southwest corner of College and Maple). Be prepared to pay the plan check fee at this time. You can contact Development Review Center staff for assistance with this or use the online fee calculator to determine the amount of the plan check fee.

How Much Will my Building Permit Cost?

Over-the-counter building permits cost $15 plus City and County sales/use tax, with the following exceptions: demolition permits cost $50 (no tax) and basement finish, electrical and plumbing alterations, commercial mechanical and roofing permits are based on the valuation of the project and are calculated in the same way as building permits for new construction and/or remodels (but are not charged for any fees other than plan check, building permit and City and County sales/use tax).

Building permits for new construction, alteration and remodels are calculated based on valuation of the construction project. The following fees apply: plan check and permit, street oversizing, water & wastewater, electric service charges, storm drainage, City and County tax, capital expansion and, (for residential construction only) parkland. Refer to a complete list of all fees, as well as a fee calculator.

For those permits requiring a plan review, only the plan check fee must be paid at the time of application. All remaining fees are collected at the time of permit issuance.

Licensed Contractors are Required

The Citys Contractor Licensing Ordinance requires general contractors and specialized trade contractors be licensed. Licensed contractors are not required when:

  • A homeowner personally performs any construction on the owners detached dwelling unit or any associated accessory building, i.e., a shed or garage.
  • A homeowner utilizes unpaid volunteers as long as they are under the continuous personal supervision of the homeowner.
  • The work is not regulated. Some examples of this include drywall, masonry, nonstructural framing, finish and trim carpentry, nonstructural concrete (patios and sidewalks), flooring, cabinet and countertop installs, painting and low-voltage wiring installs. Refer to a complete list of exemptions.

If you are a homeowner or building owner with limited construction knowledge or experience, a licensed general contractor can be an invaluable resource to you during your project. Licensed contractors are tested, and when applicable, are required to document a prescribed level of experience. Additionally, the contractors must keep general liability and workers compensation insurance and are required to stay abreast of adopted building codes through taking classes and/or refresher exams. You can find out if a contractor is licensed by calling or visiting our Development Review Center. We can also provide you with information on any violations on file for a specific contractor.

Although using unlicensed contractors or family members and friends seems attractive based on cost savings or other reasons, the City occasionally hears from homeowners or building owners who are desperately trying to locate the unlicensed contractor who has skipped town or repaired items not meeting the current building code. Often times, this creates additional costs in legal fees or by having to hire other contractors to finish or redo the work. This can also result in the stoppage of your project if licensing for code violations, as well as a trip to Municipal Court. Unfortunately, the City can provide little to no relief in these situations. We strongly urge you to become informed when hiring contractors, and recommend licensed ones when applicable. Refer to Citys licensing requirements.