This Week in Development Review
Week of September 17 - September 21, 2018
This service is provided to keep community members informed about potential development projects and related policy discussions. To receive a weekly email of the content of this page, please enter your email in the box to the right.
Project Proposals Near You
This site provides information about development review proposals at all stages of the process. Property owners within at least an 800-foot radius (or a greater distance in accordance with the standards outlined in the Land Use Code) of the boundaries of the parcel are notified via US Postal Service of any neighborhood meetings and hearings for development review proposals. Additionally, a notice is placed in The Coloradoan and a sign is posted on the property when a formal application has been submitted, or earlier if a neighborhood meeting is planned.
Information About Development Proposals
Information on current development proposals is available online. Check out the searchable and sortable table of development proposals under review to find information on formally submitted proposals. You can search for a proposal by the sign number on a "Development Proposal Under Review" sign; or by a keyword search including any part of the project name, street name or number; and more.
Conceptual Reviews & Preliminary Design Reviews
Conceptual or preliminary design reviews are the first step in the review process, where applicants can determine the feasibility of a potential project prior to a possible formal submittal. Preliminary design reviews go into more detail than conceptual reviews. Some projects will move forward into the formal development review process; others will not.
There are three Conceptual Design Reviews this week:
- Apex Movement - CDR180070 - 2027 S Timberline Road
- This is a request to build a parkour gym on a vacant lot located at the Timberline Center at 2021 & 2027 South Timberline Road. Two concepts are being proposed. Concept 1 is to build an 8,000 square foot structure on lot 7. Concept 2 is to combine lots 6 & 7 to construct an 8,000 -10,000 square foot building plus outdoor training area with shade and restroom facilities. Access to the site is taken from Bear Mountain Drive to the south, and Joseph Allen Drive to the west. The proposed project is within the Industrial (I) zone district and is subject to Administrative (Type 1) review.
- Walrus Parking Lot - CDR180071 - 125 West Mountain Avenue
- This is a request to build a pay-to-park parking lot behind Walrus Ice Cream at 125 West Mountain Avenue. It appears that the lot could be accessed through the alley from S Mason St to the west, W Mountain Ave to the north and W Oak St to the south. The proposed project is within the Downtown (D) district in the Old City Center and is subject to Planning and Zoning Board (Type 2) review.
- 612 S Howes Street - CDR180072
- This is a request to expand an existing duplex into a multi-family at 612 S Howes Street. The property currently contains one 1-bedroom unit and one 2-bedroom unit. The proposed expansion will add four 1-bedroom units and two 2-bedroom units (6 total) to the back of the existing structure. Seven parking spaces will be provided as part of the proposal with primary access being taken from South Howes Street to the west and from the alley to the east. The proposed project is within the Community Commercial (CC) zone district and is subject to Administrative (Type 1) review.
There are no preliminary design reviews this week.
Neighborhood meetings provide an opportunity for developers to provide preliminary information to neighbors regarding proposed projects before they are formally submitted for review. Neighbors then have the opportunity to provide feedback and/or ask the developer questions about the project as proposed.
There is one neighborhood meeting scheduled:
- Notice: Front Range Community College - Health Care Careers Center
- Meeting Time and Location: 6:00 - 7:30 PM Wednesday, September 26th, 2018
- Front Range Community College, Mount Antero Building
- Front Range Community College proposes to construct a 55,333 GSF Health
Care Careers Center (HCCC) on the northwest corner of the Larimer Campus, located at
4616 South Shields Street. The facility will be two stories and will include training labs, classrooms, student commons, and student collaboration spaces. The HCCC will be constructed on the 51-acre FRCC Larimer Campus at a vacant lot at the northwest corner of the campus near the intersection of Harmony Road and Shields Street. Adjacent to the proposed building site are a number of instructional buildings and the Harmony Library. The proposed site will be sufficient to house a two-story facility with an approximate 23,000 square foot footprint with pedestrian access plazas that will tie in to the existing east/west and north/south pedestrian campus walkways, which also serve as emergency vehicle access and delivery drives. An existing observatory structure at the south edge of the proposed building site will be relocated to another site on campus. An existing city funded pollinator garden west of the Sunlight Peak building will be protected in place throughout construction. FRCC will not be constructing additional parking in association with the HCCC project. The Larimer campus currently has 1,863 existing parking spaces, including 41 handicap parking spaces. The intersections located at Shields Street and Westbury Drive as well as Harmony Road and Starflower Drive will continue to serve as the entry points into the campus. Upon completion, the HCCC will have a designated drop off area in front of the building for students and visitors. The project is within the Low Density Residential (RL) Zone District and is subject to Site Plan Advisory Review.
This section typically includes Project Development Plans (PDPs), Overall Development Plans (ODPs), Major Amendments (MJAs), and proposals for annexations, rezonings, and additions of permitted uses.
- Breeze Thru Headquarters - PDP180013
- East side of College Ave, north of E Trilby Road
- This is a Project Development Plan requesting a change of use for 6464 S College Ave from a hair academy to executive offices, classroom, and 10 residential apartments. No structural changes are proposed to the existing building. A 2400 square foot, one story garage is proposed at the east end of the lot. 51 parking spaces are proposed for the site. Existing site access is from the S College Ave frontage road. The proposed project is within the General Commercial (CG) zone district and is subject to an Administrative (Type 1) review.
- Gulley Duran Single-Family Residence - FDP180021
- Approximately 1/4 mile north of W Trilby Road and 1/4 mile west of S Shields Street
- This is a combination Project Development Plan and Final Plan request to construct a single-family dwelling and barn at parcel #961040006. The site would be accessed from S Shields Street from the existing driveway that runs along the north side of the adjacent greenhouse. The property is within the Urban Estate (UE) zone district and is subject to an Administrative (Type 1) review.
- Affordable Self Storage FDP - FDP180020
- Corner of Conifer Street and Red Cedar Circle
- This is a request for a Final Development Plan to develop 4 lots of the Evergreen Park Replat as a self-storage facility. The proposal consists of 6 buildings with a mix of drive up and interior storage units. The overall proposal contains 87,905 square feet of building area.
- Northfield Filing 1 Expanded - PDP180011
- Located at the northwest corner of Suniga and Lemay Avenue (Lindenmeier)
- This is a request for a Project Development Plan to construct a single and multi-family development on a 55.3 acre site. The project consists of multiple buildings types with a total of 440 dwelling units, and commercial unit(s) of 2,650 sq. ft. Buildings will be between one and three stories. The site is located in the LMN( Low Density Mixed-Use Neighborhood) zone district.
Information regarding all current proposals, including Minor Amendments (MAs), is available in an interactive table of Development Proposals Under Review, or by calling the Development Review Center at 970-221-6689.
Administrative/Type 1 Hearings
Administrative/Type 1 hearings are public hearings conducted by a hearing officer. The hearing officer considers public input an important part of the development review process. Written comments are also welcome, and may be submitted in advance to the project planner or at the hearing. Written decisions are provided by the hearing officer within two weeks of these hearings.
No administrative/Type 1 hearings are scheduled for this week.
Planning And Zoning Board/Type 2 Hearings
Next Meeting: September 20th - Regular Hearing
At 6:00 PM in Council Chambers, 300 Laporte Ave, Fort Collins, CO, the Planning and Zoning Board will conduct a regular hearing.
Draft Minutes for the P&Z August 16, 2018 Hearing
The purpose of this item is to approve the draft minutes of the August 16, 2018, Planning and Zoning Board hearing.
Boardwalk Crossing, Final Development Plan Extension of Vested Rights, FDP130003
This is a request for a one-year extension of the term of vested right, to September 13, 2019, of the approved Boardwalk Crossing, Final Development Plan (FDP), which was originally approved in 2013. The parcel is located at 4012 S. Mason Street, as part of Boardwalk Crossing, Filing Three, Lots 2 and 3. The Final Plan has been approved for two buildings (2 and 3) on Lots 2 and 3 respectively. Minor changes requested to the original approved plan included lot line adjustments for new lots 2 and 3, and an increase of 2,000 square feet in Building 2. Building 1 on Lot 1 was previously built.
Sanctuary on the Green Annexation and Zoning, ANX180004
This is a request to annex and zone 16.98 acres located generally at the northwest corner of N. Taft Hill Road and LaPorte Avenue and addressed as 325 N. Taft Hill Road. This is a 100% voluntary annexation. The parcel is now vacant with the house recently demolished. In accordance with the City Plan’s Structure Plan Map and the Northwest Subarea Plan, the requested zoning for this annexation is L-M-N, Low Density Mixed-Use Neighborhood. The New Mercer Canal forms the western boundary.
The Updated Fort Collins Stormwater Criteria Manual
The purpose of this item is to obtain a recommendation for City Council to adopt the updated Fort Collins Stormwater Criteria Manual (Manual) into City Code, and to make related changes to City Code updating references to the Manual.
Hughes Stadium Annexation & Zoning, ANX180003
This is a request to annex and zone 164.55 acres of land generally located at the northwest corner of Dixon Canyon Road and Overland Trail. The annexation area is owned by Colorado State University and is the former location of Hughes Stadium. The requested zoning for the property is Transition (T), which is intended for properties for which there are no specific and immediate plans for development. The surrounding properties are a mixture of recreational, residential and commercial land uses.
200 East Swallow Road Request for Professional Office as an Addition of Permitted Use, #APU180001
This is a request to allow a Professional Office as a legal land use within the existing house at 200 East Swallow Road. The request is to use 100% of the house for a Professional Office versus the 50% which is allowed under the Home Occupation License. Professional Office is defined as: “an office for professionals such as physicians, dentists, lawyers, architects, engineers, artists, musicians, designers, teachers, accountants or others who through training are qualified to perform services of a professional nature and where no storage or sale of merchandise exists.” The house is 2,782 square feet and located on a lot that is 9,821 square feet and part of Thunderbird Estates.
The request for a Professional Office at 200 E. Swallow Road will be considered as an Addition of Permitted Use in conjunction with a Minor Amendment. This is not a request to rezone the property to a higher classification of zone district where Professional Office is a use by right. Instead, as an Addition of Permitted Use, the underlying zoning would remain Low Density Residential (R-L) but only Professional Office would be added as an allowable land use, and no other uses, over and above the permitted uses in the R-L. Currently, 50% of the house is being used as a Home Occupation. The applicant has held the two required neighborhood information meetings.
The Retreat at Fort Collins, PDP18002
This is a request to develop the parcel that is east of Redwood Street, north of Suniga Road (as it would be extended east of Redwood Street to Lemay Avenue) and south of Conifer Street. The Lake Canal forms the southeastern boundary. The request is for a combination of housing types that would be managed as a unified, student-oriented development. The predominant housing type is multi-family. There would be 190 dwelling units divided among 46 buildings plus a clubhouse and parking garage. Leasing would be rent-by-the-bedroom and there would be 739 bedrooms. A 1,500-square foot area within the clubhouse would be leased to a commercial tenant(s). The plan includes a total 747 parking spaces, 262 of which would be located within the three-story parking garage. This proposal is located in the Low Density Mixed-Use Neighborhood zone district. The site is 30.17 acres.
Willow Street Residences, Project Development Plan, PDP180006
This is a request to construct a 5-story multi-family residential building on 2 acres located southwest of the intersection of Willow Street and Pine Street (223 Willow Street). A total of 197 dwelling units are proposed. A total of 59 parking spaces are provided. The project is located within the (R-D-R) River Downtown Redevelopment Zone District and the Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) overlay zone.
A modification request is included with the PDP to LUC Section 3.2.2(L) to reduce the parking lot drive aisle width for two parking stalls. Alternative compliance is requested to satisfy the parking lot interior landscape standards described in Section 3.2.1(E)(5) and building foundation landscape standards in Section 3.2.1(E)(2)(d).
The agenda and hearing packets for work sessions and regular meetings are available online approximately a week before the meetings or by contacting the Development Review Center at 970-221-6689.
Regular Meeting, September 18th: At 6:00pm, in the Council Chambers at 300 Laporte Ave., City Council will conduct a Regular Meeting. Agenda items related to Planning and Development:
- 2019-20 Budget Public Hearing: Public hearing to gather citizen input on 2019-2020 proposed City Budget
- Waterfield Metropolitan Districts Consolidated Service Plan (Con't from September 4): Consider approving the Metro District Service Plan for the Waterfield project. Waterfield is a 71-acre proposed residential development located in the northeast portion of the community. The project will deliver a number of stated public benefits, including enhanced environmental sustainability, critical public infrastructure, smart growth development, and affordable housing.
- Water's Edge Metropolitan Districts Consolidated Service Plan (Con't from September 4): Consider approving the Metro District Service Plan for the Water’s Edge project. Water’s Edge is a proposed 235-acre mostly residential development project located in the northeast portion of the community. The project will be an age targeted development that is geared around an aging in place philosophy. The project features a non-potable water system, open space enhancements, and other services and support targeted for the 55-years and older age demographic.
Agendas are posted online on the Thursday afternoon prior to each meeting.
Landmark Preservation Commission & Historic Preservation
Wednesday, September 19th – Regular Hearing
At 5:30 pm, in City Hall, Council Chambers at 300 Laporte Ave., Fort Collins, CO, the Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC) will conduct a Regular Hearing.
- 609 Juniper Ln (1959 Major (1 and 1/2 story addition). Not Individually Eligible. Appeal Deadline: 09/27/2018
- 131 S Sherwood St (1908) N/A - Determination of Eligibility Only. Individually Eligible. Appeal Deadline: 9/27/2018
- 204 Second St (1944) Major (Addition). Not Individually Eligible. Appeal Deadline: 09/27/2018
- 1609 Peterson Pl (1938) Major (new entry on facade). Not Individually Eligible. Appeal Deadline: 09/27/2018
Information can be found online at: fcgov.com/cityclerk/landmark-preservation, under the date of the meeting, or is available by contacting Cassandra Bumgarner, Historic Preservation Planner, at 970-416-4250.
For additional information, contact Karen McWilliams at a2NtY3dpbGxpYW1zQGZjZ292LmNvbQ== or 970-224-6078, or Cassandra Bumgarner at Y2J1bWdhcm5lckBmY2dvdi5jb20= or 970-416-4250, or see our Demolition/Alteration Review page.
Zoning Board Of Appeals
Next Hearing: Thursday, October 11th - Regular Hearing
At 8:30AM, in City Hall, Council Chambers at 300 Laporte Ave., Fort Collins, CO, the Zoning Board of Appeals will conduct a Public Hearing.
Outcomes from September 13, 2018
Address: 216 N. College Avenue – Approved with Conditions
This is a notice for rehearing pursuant to City Code Section 2-51(2). This request is to not have existing off-premise signage be included in the total of allowable signage for the property, leaving the available sign allowance for new tenants of the building. The maximum sign allowance for the property is 636 square feet. Existing off premise signage includes 1,200 square feet. The request would result in 1,836 square feet of possible signage on the property.
Address: 4424 Denrose Ct - Approved
This request is to extend the seven-year period of time in which a nonconforming sign on a property that has been annexed into the City limits, has to comply with the City's regulations. Specifically, the McDonalds' freestanding sign was required to be brought into compliance by December 20, 2012 (seven years from the date of annexation). A previous variance was granted in May of 2012 extending the compliance date by an additional 3 years to December 20, 2015. Then again in 2015 a variance was granted to extend the compliance date to December 20, 2018. This request is to extend the compliance date an additional three years to December 20, 2021.
Address: 825 Laporte Ave - Approved
This request is for an addition to the primary house. The allowable floor area on the rear-half of the lot is 837.5 square feet. The existing alley house exceeds the allowable floor area on the rear-half of the lot by an additional 1330.5 square feet. The request will exceed the existing square footage by 13 square feet, for a total of 2,181 square feet in the rear-half of the lot.
Address: 620 Locust St - Approved
This request is for a new accessory building. The proposed accessory building has a varying eave height from 10 feet to 17.92 feet along the side property line; the maximum allowable eave height is 10 feet.
Address: 1925 Constitution Avenue – Denied
This request is for an addition to the existing attached garage. The proposed addition encroaches 4.5 feet into the required 5 feet side-yard setback, and the eave of the addition further extends to the property line past the allowable 2.5 feet.
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) has the authority to approve variances from the requirements in the Land Use Code. It meets on the second Thursday of each month at 8:30 am in Council Chambers at 300 Laporte Avenue. Agendas and past meeting minutes are available at http://www.fcgov.com/cityclerk/zoning-appeals.php.'
Building Review Board
Next Hearing: Thursday, September 27th | 300 Laporte Ave, 1:00pm.
The Building Review Board (BRB) is charged with the responsibility to hear appeals and requests for variances related to City building codes and contractor licensing regulations. The BRB typically meets on the last Thursday of each month at 1:00 pm in Council Chambers at 300 Laporte Avenue. Agendas and past meeting minutes are available at fcgov.com/BRB.
Information On The Review Process
Have you checked out the City's Citizen's Role in Development Review flowchart and guide? We hope this guide will aid you in making the process easier to understand and enable you to participate. Questions? Please contact Sylvia Tatman-Burruss, Neighborhood Development Review Outreach Specialist, at 970-224-6076 or c3RhdG1hbi1idXJydXNzQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==.