What is the Earth Day Challenge?#
Feeling disconnected from friends and family during COVID? Enjoy playing games? Join the Earth Day Challenge, an online climate action competition to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Create an Earth Day Challenge team, make an impact, and win prizes at shiftfoco.com. You can connect with others from the safety of your own home and become part of a growing community of change agents who are making Fort Collins a healthier and more sustainable place to live. In fact, a great way to get started earning points at shiftfoco.com is to sign up for a free home efficiency assessment through Larimer County. You may even be eligible for a free water-efficient toilet!
What is the goal?
The Earth Day Challenge is a fun competition to see who can lose the most CO2. Every pound of CO2 you reduce equals one point. Earn points to win prizes. Every household that earns 5,000 points will be entered into the drawing for the Grand Prize and will have a shot at other prize categories.
- Create an account at shiftfoco.com
- Join a new "Team" or "Community Group" or make your own and invite your friends
- Pick actions you want to take before Earth Day that add up to 5,000 points or more
- Take action and track your progress at shiftfoco.com to earn points and prizes
- One great way to start earning points is to sign up for a free home water and energy audit through Larimer County. You could even be eligible for a free water-efficient toilet!
Prize Categories (Points earned Feb 18 - April 30 2022)
- Grand prize drawing for every account that earns 5,000 points or more. 1-year of free curbside composting from a local composting business of your choice or receive a $200 grocery store gift card
- Individual account with the most points. Pick any single item less than $100 from the Sustainable Gifts List or receive a $100 grocery store gift card
- Team with the most points. Dinner up to $300 for your team to eat either virtually or in-person
Become a Team Leader
Before the launch of the Earth Day Challenge on Feb. 18, we are looking for Team Leaders who want to help lead the action with their family and friends. People who are passionate about climate action, want to make a difference, and motivate others to take action too. Not to mention, Team Leaders who attend two training workshops will be eligible to win cool prizes like an e-bike, grocery store gift cards, and more. Learn more about the Team Leader program here.
Let us know you want to be a Team Leader by filling out this sign up form. Know somebody else you might be interested in being a Team Leader? Feel free to share the sign up form with them!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happened last year?
Your actions last year contributed to reducing 488 tons of CO2 community-wide! That's the equivalent of taking 105 cars off the road for one year, a big impact. We want you to help us make an impact on our climate action goals again and that's why we've quadrupled our goal for reducing emissions this year to 1,000 tons of CO2. This is ambitious, but we think Fort Collins can do it and we're going to need your help to get there!
What about all the actions I took last year?
If you took actions last year they will remain as "complete" in shiftfoco.com and are something to be proud of. However, your progress last year will not contribute toward your 5,000 point goal for 2022. This is because we want everyone to challenge themselves each year to take their climate action to the next level.
What's new this year?
- Colorado State University is hosting a month of fun Earth Day-focused activities that are open to both students and the community in March. We'll share more as we get closer.
- We are launching a Team Leader program for those who want to be more involved with recruiting and engaging people in the Earth Day Challenge. If you are interested in learning more please reach out to Kaiya.Tamlyn@colostate.edu.