Community Development Block Grant Commission
Meeting Schedule and Location
2nd Wednesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. | View meeting schedule
Meeting Location: 222 Laporte Avenue, Colorado River Room
December 31, 2020 - Michael Kulisheck, Nick Verni- Lau, and Vacant Seat
December 31, 2021 - Serena Thomas and Olga Duvall
December 31, 2022 - Josh Johnson, Steve Backsen, and Sara Maranowicz
December 31, 2023 - Pat Hastings
The CDBG Commission advises the City Council on matters pertaining to the City's Competitive Process which includes funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Investment Partnership (HOME) Program, and the City's Affordable Housing Fund (AHF) and Human Services Program (HSP). HUD provides federal grant funds to the City to meet affordable housing and community development needs of low and moderate income people. The City receives about $1.5 million from HUD and just under $1 million from the General Fund annually. Program funds are typically used for housing, human services, and community development programs, projects, and activities.
- A special interest in the needs of low-income persons, and in big picture social sustainability efforts within the community.
- An understanding of the dynamics of people in poverty.
- A non-prejudicial world view, especially in regarding to economic class or legally protected groups of people.
- An appreciation for the role and work of affordable housing providers and human services agencies.
- Ability to work in team with others to make reasoned, objective funding recommendations representing the policies and directives of City Council.
- A special interest in or sensitivity to the needs of persons with disabilities.
3 hours per month, except March and April, which require approximately 10 - 20 hours each. More hours may be required in September as well. Several meetings may be Canceled each year, due to lack of pressing agenda items.
The main spring meetings commitment is critical to CDBG Commission membership, and usually takes place the last week of March or early April. It involves three - five consecutive night meetings, each lasting 4 to 5 hours. Applicants in the funding process make presentations before the CDBG Commission at these meetings. (If a fall funding process takes place two additional meetings will be held, one in September and one in October.) The final meeting of the funding process is Deliberations which takes place in mid-April (October in the fall) and may last up to 4 hours.