Opening a Business in Fort Collins
Entrepreneurs and tech start-ups contact Rocky Mountain Innovation Initiative
State of Colorado Business Information
- Start a Business in Colorado
- Doing Business in Colorado
- Northern Colorado and Greater Wyoming Better Business Bureau
- Business licenses and sales tax license
- Development Review Center
- Entrepreneurs and tech start-ups contact Rocky Mountain Innovation Initiative
- Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce
- Fort Collins/Larimer Small Business Development Center
- Green your business: ClimateWise
- Northern Colorado Economic Development Corporation
- Small Business Administration: Colorado Office
Home Based Business
The City of Fort Collins encourages home based business through a straight forward and easy to use permitting process.
Home based business forms:
Home occupation permit (PDF 64KB)
Click here for additional information regarding the home occupation permit.
- Sales and use tax license
Home occupations include (but is not limited to) the following:
- art/craft making
- seamstress services
- professional offices (real estate/insurance/medical)
- multi-level marketing
- vending services
- service businesses (contracting/janitorial)
- instruction (music)
- wholesale/catalogue sales
- personal service (beauty/barber) shops
- the renting of rooms for residential purposes.
Any portion of a residential property, including a home phone, computer, mailing address, etc., used in deriving income or sales, will require the resident to obtain a Home Occupation license. For more information visit the Building departments page on the home occupation permit.
Child care and other day care providers are exempt from home occupation licensing and requirements except for signage restrictions.
Not Included Under Home Occupation License
The following cannot be considered home occupation businesses.
- Group homes
- health care facilities (nursing homes)
- tourist homes (bed and breakfast facilities)
- animal hospitals
These uses are restricted to particular zoning districts.
- Home Occupation License Applications can be downloaded, obtained at the Building Inspections/Zoning office at 281 North College Avenue or at the Sales Tax office at 215 North Mason, Fort Collins, CO. Or contact them at (970) 221-6760. The license fee is $25 and is renewable every two years. Code requirements regulating home occupation businesses are located in Article 3, Section 3.8.3 of the Land Use Code of Fort Collins.
- Sales and use tax license application
In addition to Zoning requirements, prohibition of or limitations to home occupation businesses may be regulated by subdivision, condominium, or similar covenants. Please check what COVENANTS might exist in your neighborhood by contacting your homeowner's association or the Larimer County Clerk and Recording office at (970) 498-7860.