Zero Interest Air Quality Loans
The City of Fort Collins provides zero interest loans for home improvements that improve air quality. Eligible home improvements are listed below.
|Type of Improvement||Max. % of Cost Financed||Loan min.||Loan max.||Other Eligibility Requirements||Building Permit Required?|
|Radon Mitigation||90%||$1,000||$3,000||Radon test of 4 picoCuries/liter or higher||No|
|Mold Remediation||90%||$1,000||$10,000||Certified mold remediation contractor||No, unless building structure is affected|
|Fireplace or Wood Stove Upgrade*||90%||$1,000||$3,000||Proof of old stove recycling (if stove)||Yes|
*Four upgrades are eligible: 1.) Gas log fireplace upgrade to gas fireplace insert; 2.) Wood stove/fireplace upgrade to gas stove/insert; 3.) Wood stove/fireplace upgrade to pellet stove/insert; 4.) Wood stove/fireplace upgrade to certified wood stove/insert.
Fort Collins homeowners within the Growth Management Area (GMA). Rental properties are eligible if the owner applies.
- Projects may be combined. The maximum loan amount is $10,000, depending on the type of improvement.
- Loans can include all or a portion of the project cost and the cost of a building permit or radon test, if applicable.
- No interest is charged on air quality loans, but there is a $25 credit-check fee.
- The repayment schedule varies by loan amount.
Once you decide on the improvements you want to make:
- If applying for a radon loan, complete a radon test.
- Obtain one or more bids and select the one that meets your project goals.
- Complete the Loan Application. Fill out the form online.
- Pay $25 credit-check fee by credit card online.
Loan Contact Information:
330 S. College Ave., Ste. 400
Ft. Collins, Co. 80524
*This loan program is offered in partnership with Funding Partners for Housing Solutions, Inc., 330 S. College Avenue #400, Fort Collins, CO 80524. All loans will be secured by a lien against your property. Not all applicants will be approved. Terms and conditions apply, call for details (970 494-2021).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I have more than one loan at a time?
No, you may only have one outstanding air quality loan, but you may finance multiple projects in one loan.
- Can I use the loan for new construction?
No, funds may only be used for existing homes.
- I've already ordered a new wood stove for my home. Can I get an air quality loan to pay for it?
Loans are only for future projects, not ones that have already been started or completed. Work on a project funded by an air quality loan may only begin after the loan has been approved.
- Can I use the loan to complete more than one project?
Yes, a single loan may include more than one project. For example, you could borrow money to remove a wood stove and remediate mold, providing you do not exceed the maximum loan amount of $10,000.
- Do I have to use the "low-bid" contractor?
No, but we encourage you to collect multiple bids.
- If I refinance my home, do I have to pay off the loan?
- Can the loan be used for do-it-yourself projects?
No, loans are available for do-it-yourself projects.