The City will continue its contract with CMC, focusing on three primary areas:
- Education – Information is being provided to the general public and to City employees about personal protection and source reduction measures.
- Data gathering – In order to effectively combat West Nile virus, the City has contracted with Colorado Mosquito Control (CMC) to conduct a mosquito surveillance program. CMC is mapping potential mosquito breeding sites and will utilize light traps to monitor adult mosquito activity as the season progresses.
- Mitigation – The City of Fort Collins is conducting a comprehensive larviciding program to kill mosquito larvae before they emerge from breeding areas. Colorado Mosquito Control (CMC) has been hired to apply the larvicide to breeding sites within a one-mile radius of the city limits. The larvicide is a natural non-toxic biological product that affects only mosquitoes and is not harmful to fish and animals. Citizens can report potential mosquito breeding areas by calling 663-5697.
- City of Fort Collins West Nile virus management policy (PDF)
- City of Fort Collins West Nile response plan (PDF)
Sign up online to receive automatic e-mail notices before spraying would occur.