Fort Collins Police Services offers many sworn and civilian career employment opportunities in the following areas:
- Police Officer
- Community Services Officer
- Emergency Services Dispatcher
- Police Report Specialists
- Crime Analysis
- Computer Services
- Crime Lab Technicians
- Property/Evidence Technicians
- Secretarial/Administrative Assistant
Sworn Employment Opportunities
Fort Collins Police Services (FCPS), one of the finest and most advanced law enforcement agencies in the country, is a leader in community policing and overall crime reduction and is committed to the philosophy of community policing. FCPS offers great pay and benefits as well as equipment and training that prepare you to perform as a professional police officer for the city of Fort Collins. FCPS does not have a lateral transfer program at this time. Certified or certifiable police officers start at one pay grade higher than those without certification.
The initial requirements for sworn officers with FCPS are:
- must be a citizen of the United States by either birth or naturalization or lawfully in the United States and legally authorized for employment within the United States.
- must be 21 years old to apply
- must have a minimum of 60 semester credit hours or 90 quarter hours at an accredited college/university
- cannot have a felony conviction
- cannot have a misdemeanor conviction involving domestic violence
- must possess a valid driver's license from state of residency
- cannot have been dishonorably discharged from the military
- must pass a mandatory drug screening test
The Fort Collins Police Services applicant screening process is multi-phased and consists of the following steps:
- preliminary application
- written examination
- oral interview
- physical fitness test
- background investigation
- Computer Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) examination
- medical examination
- psychological examination
- drug screen
- board approval
The 2009 salary range for police officers is $51,965 to $70,723. FCPS offers a take-home car for officers living in the approved 15 mile radius of the city; college incentive reimbursement program; clothing allowance for plain clothes assignments; uniform dry cleaning; overtime pay; vacation leave; sick and short-term disability leave; health, life and dental insurance available; pension plan, and a voluntary deferred compensation plan.
For information on current police officer recruitment processes contact the City's Human Resources Department at
Civilian Employment Opportunities
Fort Collins Police Services employs approximately 89 civilian personnel in a wide variety of positions.
General Employment Information
Fort Collins Police Services is not currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. When re-opened, application packets may be found and downloaded for completion on the city's website at fcgov.com/jobs.
Applications for all Police Services positions are accepted ONLY when positions are available. If you need additional information, please contact Sgt. David Haywood () at