The economy policies emphasize job creation within the five adopted Targeted Industry Clusters, including: Clean Energy, Water Innovation, Bioscience, Technology, and Uniquely Fort Collins. Industry clusters are geographic concentrations of interconnected companies and institutions in a particular field.
A healthy and resilient economy:
- Diverse jobs that enable citizens and businesses to thrive.
- Reflects the values of our unique community in a changing world.
- An innovative, creative, and entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Strong partnerships and collaboration with the private sector, educational institutions, and other organizations.
- Pursuing the development of a vibrant and resilient economy that reflects the values of our unique community in a changing world.
- Supporting the growth of the innovation economy to set the stage for business development, job creation, and a thriving entrepreneurial environment.
- Supporting local, unique, and creative businesses.
- Encouraging the redevelopment of strategic areas within the community.
- Participating in regional economic development efforts.
The following is a partial list of implementation actions identified as priorities in the Action Plan. Please refer to the Action Plan for a complete list of implementation actions.
Near Term (2011-2012)
The recently completed Innosphere (formerly Rocky Mountain Innovation Initiative) building will incubate, support and accelerate the success of innovation-based startup companies in Northern Colorado.
- Update the Economic Action Plan, including a competitive analysis of the city, development of a retail retention program, and continued support for business incubation and targeted industry cluster development
- Update the Downtown Parking Plan
- Prepare an analysis of existing conditions in the Midtown Study Area
- Support the Downtown Development Authority’s evaluation of a community marketplace
Longer Term (2013 and beyond)
- Update the cost recovery model and utilize if for large annexations and subarea planning efforts