What is Adopt-A-Trail?
The purpose of this program is to assist city maintenance crews in litter control along the bike trails. An organization or group of individuals can adopt a section of trail for a period of one year.
Volunteers are recognized by a sign, with their organization name, at each end of their section.
Adopters are responsible for litter control along their section of trail (usually .5 to 1 mile long) at least once a week as weather permits, or as often as possible. We feel that “every little bit helps” in this case!
What are the Adopt-A-Trail policies?
- The Adopting organization commits to a one-year period of adoption. At the end of that an organization can renew, change sections or terminate.
- Monitoring of your section should be done at least once a week during the warm season, and as weather permits in the cold season.
- The City of Fort Collins will provide the trash bags and will be responsible for collecting and disposing of the filled bags.
- The City of Fort Collins will place a sign at the end of your section crediting your organization for litter control.
- An adopting organization may keep any and all proceeds from any material with recyclable value that is found.
Submit an Adopt-A-Trail application online
Download an Adopt-A-Trail application (PDF)