The City of Fort Collins is offering zero interest loans for home improvement projects that remove mold, radon, and wood smoke from inside your home. Fort Collins residents can apply for a loan to install a radon mitigation system, replace or upgrade a fireplace or woodstove, or remove mold and moisture from the home. Loan amounts range from $1,000 to $10,000 depending on the type of project. More information and an application are available at http://www.fcgov.com/airquality/loan.php
In the wake of recent heavy rains and flooding, mold may be growing in wet or damp areas of the home. Inhaling or touching mold can cause allergic reactions or skin and eye irritation. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in sensitive individuals. The key to controlling mold growth is removing mold contaminated materials and reducing moisture in the home. Mold mitigation projects can be as simple as removing wet carpet to more complicated projects that involve replacing structural components of the home. Loans are available for up to $10,000 for projects completed using a certified mold remediation contractor.
Radon is an invisible, odorless, radioactive gas occurring naturally in some soil types that contain decaying uranium. The negative pressure inside a typical home pulls radon gas through cracks and openings in basements, crawl spaces, and slabs. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and is responsible for several hundred cancer deaths in Colorado each year. Radon is easy to test for and discounted radon test kits can be purchased from the City of Fort Collins at the Senior Center (1200 Raintree Drive) or the Development Review Center (281 North College Ave.). If high levels of radon are detected, a radon removal system should be installed. These systems can be simple to install and range from $500 to $3,000. The City’s zero interest loan program includes loans up to $3,000 for radon mitigation systems.
Loans are also available for replacing and upgrading wood stoves and fireplaces to cleaner, more efficient certified woodstoves or gas inserts. Wood smoke is a mixture of many compounds that are harmful to human health including carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and other cancer causing chemicals. Wood smoke is a nose, throat, and lung irritant and can trigger asthma attacks. Children are particularly sensitive to wood smoke exposure. Avoid using a fireplace or wood stove and protect the health of your family and neighbors. If you depend on a wood stove for home heating and cooking, consider replacing it with a gas, pellet, or high efficiency wood stove.
A zero interest loan from the City of Fort Collins can help make improving the indoor air quality of your home and protecting your family’s health easy and affordable!